Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stubby Vs. full bumper?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If deer hits tire? Deer jerky!.....stubby looks "right" with flat fenders.imo
Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HUNTER
If deer hits tire? Deer jerky!.....stubby looks "right" with flat fenders.imo
Wow, looks good. I will eventually get some fenders like that. By the way I love deer jerky!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Most full-width bumpers are too flimsy outside the frame rails to be much better than stubbies. Don't fool yourselves into thinking it will provide protection against much more than slow contact into a tree under 1.5 inches in diameter.
The factory bumper is a perfect example - it's mostly plastic out there, with a puny assist from flimsy tin foil for the first few inches.
Even the WARN that jkkat showed doesn't look like it has much out there for strength. I would suspect not much more than 100 pounds would buckle it at the "W" cutout. Hitting a deer at speed would be well over the equivalent of 100 pounds.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like things simple and bare bones. That's why I chose the Expedition One Basic DX. It's nothing more than a glorified winch plate, but it's tough and does the job. It cuts the hell outta the approach angle, too. Like Kat said though, the wings are nice extra protection. I figure what the hell? The plastic fenders are made fer rippin off anyhow sooner or later.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems there are a couple different types of JK owners. You need to honestly decide what kind of Jeeper you are before you make MANY decisions about mods on your rig. There are many people that mod their JK because of how it looks, and there are many that mod it for how it performs. If you are a mall crawler and/or just run some dirt roads or very low difficulty trails, you have fewer variable to take into consideration. If so, go with what you think "looks good."

It also depends on the rest of your setup. I wheeled the piss out of my Rubicon before I got larger tires and a lift and I destroyed every corner of both the front and rear bumpers. If I had stubbies, it would not have happened. Personally, I think stubbies perform better, give better angles and do a better job of not getting in the way on the trail. I think full width dont offer any advantages, and only potential detriments to performance. (I said POTENTIAL, so not everybody needs to bash me and say "my full width never gets in the way"...)

Here is a pic of my rig PRE-lift, wheels and tires as I was bashing one corner of my stock rear bumper...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4844 (Medium).jpg
Views:	957
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	11076  
Old 07-21-2008, 11:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great shot, dude. Looks like you were havin fun.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Ahhhhhh heck: moddin' the jeep is half the fun. Keep your OEM and WHAAAAACK away on it like the rest of us did

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6331

Old 07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Middle of the road

I went for a mid-width on my Jk and a stubby on my YJ

Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AZ-JK
It seems there are a couple different types of JK owners. You need to honestly decide what kind of Jeeper you are before you make MANY decisions about mods on your rig. There are many people that mod their JK because of how it looks, and there are many that mod it for how it performs. If you are a mall crawler and/or just run some dirt roads or very low difficulty trails, you have fewer variable to take into consideration. If so, go with what you think "looks good."

It also depends on the rest of your setup. I wheeled the piss out of my Rubicon before I got larger tires and a lift and I destroyed every corner of both the front and rear bumpers. If I had stubbies, it would not have happened. Personally, I think stubbies perform better, give better angles and do a better job of not getting in the way on the trail. I think full width dont offer any advantages, and only potential detriments to performance. (I said POTENTIAL, so not everybody needs to bash me and say "my full width never gets in the way"...)

Here is a pic of my rig PRE-lift, wheels and tires as I was bashing one corner of my stock rear bumper...

If I would have taken the time to actually write something in my first reply, this is about exactly what I would say...a good summation
Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

I have been looking and looking and arguing with myself on this issue too. I like the looks of the Rugged Ridge Modular. If you want full width, get the ends/ extensions, then if you want to pull them for the trail you can. Gives both opportunities. This is the modular center:

This is the wings:

Or you can go with the Rampage Recovery Bumper which tails up on the ends and offers the protection for outside.

This is why I still have the plastic stock bumper...

Quick Reply: Stubby Vs. full bumper?