Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stubby Vs. full bumper?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubby Vs. full bumper?

Ok...So after popping the cherry on my rubicon this weekend, BullsJK has convinced me of at least a 2.5 lift, but the other thing i need is bumpers, these plastic things make nervous. My question is why do people get stubbys? and on that same line why do people get full bumpers? I'm thinking of a full, just because i live in the metroplex (dallas fort worth) and having a little more protection from others on the road is always a plus. What are your thoughts~
Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stubbies improve your approach angle off road, especially for big rocks. Full bumpers offer more protection. From what I have seen, most serious off roaders have stubbies.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by w.wood jeepster
Stubbies improve your approach angle off road, especially for big rocks. Full bumpers offer more protection. From what I have seen, most serious off roaders have stubbies.
What he said, it's all about the look you want, I wanted the stubby for crawling and knew I wanted flat fenders eventually and had a certain look and flow I wanted, like the way it turned out and if I had a mid with or full with the flat fenders I have it would look strange. Mid widths and fulls look great with the stock fenders, but I wanted to also save a little weight where I could too.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love RubyDoo's Warn front bumper as the corners help protect the fender flairs.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by w.wood jeepster

Yeah, what he said, real Jeeps have stubbies!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jkkat
I love RubyDoo's Warn front bumper as the corners help protect the fender flairs.

Great Shot! Looks like fun.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a matter of taste. I've never really liked stubbies, I know they offer better aproach angle, but I've never been in a situation were I wished I had one. so I would rather go for the look I like.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

I got shrockworks mid-width. Its a SWEET bumper and its the best of both worlds.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wanted to protect the entire front so opted for full width. The full width didn't interfere whilst doing the Rubicon.

Last edited by j33per; 07-21-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

All boils down to what you like. I went with the stubby because I personally think they look better and I know I have the clearance needed to approach rocks etc. without the full bumper being in the way. There have been times when a deer has ran out in front of me that I was a little nervous wondering what would happen if the front tire hit first instead of a bumper. I've been lucky so far and havent had to find out.

Last edited by Bodo; 05-22-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Stubby Vs. full bumper?