Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

stubby stock bumper

Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stubby stock bumper

saw a detailed step by step intstruction sheet on how to cut and redo stock bumper,but cant find it?? HELP!

Thanks ahead of time
Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

i used this one for the general layout then kinda improvised from there. i think it turned out well.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by miket@teterop.com
saw a detailed step by step intstruction sheet on how to cut and redo stock bumper,but cant find it?? HELP!

Thanks ahead of time
Here was mine from a while back. Not too detailed but it may give you some hints...

Here was the general process…

- cut off the outer plastic end pieces by scribing 1.25 inches out from the 'impact bulge'. Only cut the plastic, you will cut the metal support later. I used a cutoff 4.5" grinder for a smooth edge. Had to finish the inner cuts with a recip saw since the circular blade did not reach all the inner plastic areas.

- Unbolt the 2 outer most mount screws from the back side before removing as these are on the outside edge of your cut and the end pieces won’t come off until you do. (see pic illust)

- Once the ends (plastic only) are off. Cut the metal bumper support off just outside the 2 mount bolt holes. That way you could actually go back to stock if desired. Use a recip saw for this. Metal cuts pretty easy. Cut ended up like a sideways ‘U’, just clearing the 2 existing mount holes. This will become obvious after you try to dry fit the slip in ends. After cutting the metal end off, you need to reattach the middle bumper plastic skin to the inner steel mount. I simply drilled 2 holes just inwards enough to reach the existing plastic shell and used nuts to hold them. These will need to be mounted before attempting to remount the new ends as the nuts are inside the cavity. (see pic illust)

- Take each end piece you cut off and cut 8.25 additional inches off the inner side. Scribe it along the same cut you already made. I used a jig saw for this cut. You can eyeball the back edge as there is no way to scribe it since it is a 'u' shape. Once you cut it off, you will also need to cut 2 slits to allow it to slide into the existing bumper. I have a few pics showing the backside slits. (see pic illust)

- Slide the end stub inside the groove on the remaining bumper. Cut/Trim as needed. You will want at least on inch overlap or more. You may have to trim more inner steel to get the fit / overlap desired.

- The rest was to make things more aesthetic. I used 1/16” by 1” aluminum bar from Home depot and cut each piece to fit on either side of the ‘impact bulge’. I rounded the edges. I drilled each to receive a ¼” lag screw and let the lag screws go thru the outer plastic and in some areas it also captured the inner plastic, making a pretty secure fit. I filled the overlap with black silicone and after drying, I used flat black spray paint. This gave it a more ‘welded’ look. All the ¼ inch bolts you see are stainless lag screws ¾ inches long. This is about as long as you can go without hitting the steel as you tighten them. (see pic issust)

- Last thing was to torch the lower plastic deflector and bend the ends upwards to match the new lines of the bumper ends. This would only be needed if you overlap as far as I did which leaves the under deflector kinda misaligned.

ps. I’ve added picks to the gallery to illustrate some of this. See link in 1st posting. I spent about $25 on hardware and metal blades I needed. Took me a couple days of tinkering. The aluminum is the biggest time consumer, but does finish it off.

RB

See my gallery for illustrated pics.

Last edited by RubiRedRider; 12-29-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's one SHINY Jeep. And I would love to have stainless screws, but they are HARD to find and hard to paint black.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
that's one SHINY Jeep. And I would love to have stainless screws, but they are HARD to find and hard to paint black.
Bolts (actually lag screws), were a little pricey, but not too bad.

The aluminum flat bar has held up pretty well painted black. I roughed it up quite a bit before painting. Aluminum bolts may be paintable.

Must have freshly wahed it before the pics - to get that shine.

ps. added the illustrated pics to my gallery/album.

RB

Quick Reply: stubby stock bumper