Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which "Stinger" Bumper?? Please help
Rugged Ridge Winch w/ Stinger (~$560)
25.93%
Or Fab Shorty Stinger w/ Winch (~$440)
27.16%
LOD Shorty Stinger w/ Winch (~$640)
35.80%
Fab Fours Stubby Winch w/ Grill Guard (~$760)
11.11%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Stubby / Stinger Comparison - Need Help (Rugged Ridge vs. Fab Four vs. Or Fab)

Old 11-08-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbass1187
I might add this to my considerations, especially for the price. And at 23" from the face of the grill (Jeep Emblem) to the tip of the stinger, that appears to be the most "compact" of the stingers.

But still trying to figure out the dimensions ont he Rugged Ridge, LOD and Hanson.
I did some shopping around to get that price, i just double checked the length. Its right at 22.5 at the jeep emblem.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

THANKS, That helps a lot...and that is one sick JK!
The 30" measurement is what I am trying to envision as my comparison between the sizes and dimension of all these bumpers.....

But for the price, I am REALLY falling for the Or-Fab, even though it doesn't have provisions for the factory fog lights.
Do you know if the factory wiring can be used for some aftermarket lights and if the bumper has tabs for lights....it seems every picture I see has 2 lights mounted just outside the stinger, but can't find any write up on their being tabs or not.

Thanks.
Thanks for the compliment! That JK is my baby. I see Chris posted the pics of the Stinger with a tape measure, but he missed answering your question. I do know that some folks on this forum have used the fog wiring for aftermarket lights but you have to be careful on the rating. I couldn't wire my Vision X HIDs because they draw too many amps. You'll want to check the fuse rating to be safe.

There aren't any tabs on the stinger, but we do sell a light adapter that mounts with the winch fairlead. It sells for about $26 bucks so it's a very popular option. But you're right, most people just drill their own light mount aside the stinger as I did.

We do have a non-winch stinger that does accommodate the factory fogs.

Yates
Old 11-08-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OR-Fab to the rescue!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yhudson
Thanks for the compliment! That JK is my baby. I see Chris posted the pics of the Stinger with a tape measure, but he missed answering your question. I do know that some folks on this forum have used the fog wiring for aftermarket lights but you have to be careful on the rating. I couldn't wire my Vision X HIDs because they draw too many amps. You'll want to check the fuse rating to be safe.

There aren't any tabs on the stinger, but we do sell a light adapter that mounts with the winch fairlead. It sells for about $26 bucks so it's a very popular option. But you're right, most people just drill their own light mount aside the stinger as I did.

We do have a non-winch stinger that does accommodate the factory fogs.

Yates
Sorry to hijack but thats the type of stinger im looking for. Where can I find one? Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Dave at www.northridge4x4.com !
Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OR-Fab for us, been running it for about a year and a half now over the Rubicon as well as Moab and couldn't be happier. For us we used the oem fog light wiring with our PIAA fogs without any issues at all. For what you save you can easily get the fogs as well as the light bracket (shown in Yates pic) and their front skid. Really would say the bolt on stingers are mostly for looks so for us we wanted to piece of mind of knowing it's there in case we need it. Here's Blonda at White Knuckle (Behind the Rocks - Moab) to show what I mean.

Last edited by sm_rubi; 01-18-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rugged Ridge and LOD Stinger Measurements???

Anyone have the Rugged Ridge or LOD Stinger that can post either a pic or just the measruement of the tip of the stinger in relation to the "Jeep" emblem on the front grill?!?

At this point, the Or-Fab looks like my best option for looks, solid mount, and price....and you're right, for the price, I could add the fogs and skid plate.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Or-Fab Stinger /w Smittybilt XRC 10HD Winch (Air Compressor)

With regards to winches fitting the Or-Fab Stinger, I noticed Smittybilt makes a XRC 10HD (10,000 lbs winch with Air Compressor built in) similar to the Warn Power Plant, and was wondering if anyone has any experience mounting it to the Or-Fab?

Would it require the similar Off-Set design that Or-Fab makes for the Warn Power Plant? Is it as durable and effective as the Warn, or do you get what you pay for?

Would be nice to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by adding that to the Jeep.

But the main question is "Does it fit the centered or off-set version?"

and tehs econdary question is does anyone have any experience with that winch.....I noticed this morning that Smittybilt's website lists it as Discontinued!?!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts.....need some measurements for the Rugged Ridge, LOD, and Hanson. I have the dimensions for the Or-Fab and I think the Fab Four has dropped from the comparison.

Also, has anyone used the Smittybilt XRC 10HD winch and is it of comparable size to the Warn Power Plant or more of a similar size to the regular XRC 10?

Thanks.....and lets see some pics of these bumpers as well!!!

Ohh, and Happy Hump Day everyone!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Jedi

Anyone have the Rugged Ridge or LOD Stinger that can post either a pic or just the measruement of the tip of the stinger in relation to the "Jeep" emblem on the front grill?!?

At this point, the Or-Fab looks like my best option for looks, solid mount, and price....and you're right, for the price, I could add the fogs and skid plate.
I could get you the measurements tomorrow since it's dark outside, but here's a couple of pics of the Rugged Ridge Stinger that I'd taken after the install. I've removed the Jeep logo a long time back but you know where it usually sits, so this might help.

And a side shot for the height comparison:

Personally, I wanted the LoD Shorty Stinger as my first preference but from an affordability standpoint, it was out of my budget at the time. My next choice was the OR-Fab Stinger 'coz I really like the design and it would've complimented the rear Tire Carrier perfect, but I wanted one that would accomodate both the factory fogs and a winch - and with OR-Fab, I'd have to choose one or the other. Well, the Rugged Ridge although not personally my favorite, was able to help me out on both counts. First, it accomodates both the fogs and the winch, and secondly, I was able to buy it in pieces - got just the XRC Shorty first and a few a months later, bought the stinger separate. And here we are today. The LoD, however, is still my personal favorite.

Quick Reply: Stubby / Stinger Comparison - Need Help (Rugged Ridge vs. Fab Four vs. Or Fab)