Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which "Stinger" Bumper?? Please help
Rugged Ridge Winch w/ Stinger (~$560)
25.93%
Or Fab Shorty Stinger w/ Winch (~$440)
27.16%
LOD Shorty Stinger w/ Winch (~$640)
35.80%
Fab Fours Stubby Winch w/ Grill Guard (~$760)
11.11%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Stubby / Stinger Comparison - Need Help (Rugged Ridge vs. Fab Four vs. Or Fab)

Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stinger on the rugged ridge is a bolt on unit , It looks nice and is a good bumper IMO...just something to think about and my .02

i was going to go with the Hanson but the money didn't seem to ever be there
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
have u seen the new hanson stubby with stinger!?? i like it alot and im a huge lod stubby stinger fan.
imo i wouldnt even consider the others.. there have been issues with loD's coatings, which i believe there workin on or fixed.
my sliders took almost 9 weeks to get so plan on a wait for the loD...
i am seriously considering the hanson for myself when i ready..
The Hanson is REALLY nice and is over $780, so a little out of my price range.....the only reason the Fab Four is included at over $750 is b/c it is not a stinger in a strict sense and might be acceptable to my fiance

The Smittybilt was considered, but I just can't get over their lack of quality control and the idea that they know some of their stuff is not built to certain specs and they just trade with you until you get a good version....Not my kind of company to make the customer perform the QA/QC!!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Dimensions of Stinger?

So, one guy says the Or-Fab is 21 inches from the grill and another guy says it is 30 inches from the grill.....

Any pictures with Tape Measures?
Anyone else have dimension of the stingers from Rugged Ridge, LOD, and/or Hanson?!?!?

I am leaning towards the Or-Fab and just wiring the factory fog lamp wires into a set of Hella or PIAA fog lights to the bumper directly.

Please someone let me know if they have any pictures w/ dimensions on these bumpers in relation to the grill and how far they stick out.

Thanks,
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by cbass1187
So, one guy says the Or-Fab is 21 inches from the grill and another guy says it is 30 inches from the grill.....

Anyone else have dimension of the stingers from Rugged Ridge, LOD, and/or Hanson?!?!?

I am leaning towards the Or-Fab and just wiring the factory fog lamp wires into a set of Hella or PIAA fog lights to the bumper directly.

Please someone let me know if they have any pictures w/ dimensions on these bumpers in relation to the grill and how far they stick out.

Thanks,
I'll try to have someone from the office post a picture of this for you, I haven't gotten my jeep back from SEMA yet. I believe everyone is saying the same thing... just differently. The 21" measurement is from the front of the bumper, and the 21" is the tip of the stinger projecting outward (not upward). In other words, if you had the stinger tip touching a wall, the front of the bumper would be 21" away.

I'm pretty certain that the 30" measurement is from the grill/hood area to the tip of the stinger.

Hope this helps.

Yates
Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Smittybilt was considered, but I just can't get over their lack of quality control and the idea that they know some of their stuff is not built to certain specs and they just trade with you until you get a good version....Not my kind of company to make the customer perform the QA/QC!!!!
I had my stinger from smittybilt for about a month now, and havn't had a problem yet. During install it fall rigth into place with a single problem . I haven't had a bad part from smittybilt yet.
plus u can't beat the price, I get it under $ 275 ( thats with shipping too).

*edit* from the very edge of the hood to the very edge of the the stinger its a little under 23 inchs*

Last edited by untold; 11-08-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,
Just curious but why cant you just use the stock lights?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
Just curious but why cant you just use the stock lights?
The Or-Fab does not have provisions for the factory fog lights.....but I believe the wiring could be used to simply tie in some aftermarket lights to the switch on the steering wheel column.

And for the dimensions, I understand what you are saying....from the "Jeep" emblem on the top of the hood / grille, the tip of the stinger is approx 30", and from the face of the bumper, the stinger is approx 21". So then, the face of the bumper is approx 9" from the face of the grill.

I can believe that, and the 30" dimension is what I am looking to use for my comparison.

Anyone else have any information for the other stingers....Rugged Ridge, LOD, Hanson, Smittybilt......

Last edited by cbass1187; 11-08-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by untold
I had my stinger from smittybilt for about a month now, and havn't had a problem yet. During install it fall rigth into place with a single problem . I haven't had a bad part from smittybilt yet.
plus u can't beat the price, I get it under $ 275 ( thats with shipping too).

*edit* from the very edge of the hood to the very edge of the the stinger its a little under 23 inchs*

I might add this to my considerations, especially for the price. And at 23" from the face of the grill (Jeep Emblem) to the tip of the stinger, that appears to be the most "compact" of the stingers.

But still trying to figure out the dimensions ont he Rugged Ridge, LOD and Hanson.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yhudson
I'll try to have someone from the office post a picture of this for you, I haven't gotten my jeep back from SEMA yet. I believe everyone is saying the same thing... just differently. The 21" measurement is from the front of the bumper, and the 21" is the tip of the stinger projecting outward (not upward). In other words, if you had the stinger tip touching a wall, the front of the bumper would be 21" away.

I'm pretty certain that the 30" measurement is from the grill/hood area to the tip of the stinger.

Hope this helps.

Yates

THANKS, That helps a lot...and that is one sick JK!
The 30" measurement is what I am trying to envision as my comparison between the sizes and dimension of all these bumpers.....

But for the price, I am REALLY falling for the Or-Fab, even though it doesn't have provisions for the factory fog lights.
Do you know if the factory wiring can be used for some aftermarket lights and if the bumper has tabs for lights....it seems every picture I see has 2 lights mounted just outside the stinger, but can't find any write up on their being tabs or not.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I just took some measurements for you guys with some attached pic's to show you what the true measurement is. Grill to the end of the stinger bar measures out to 30.5"

Hope this helps clear things up a bit

THANKS, That helps a lot...and that is one sick JK!
The 30" measurement is what I am trying to envision as my comparison between the sizes and dimension of all these bumpers.....

But for the price, I am REALLY falling for the Or-Fab, even though it doesn't have provisions for the factory fog lights.
Do you know if the factory wiring can be used for some aftermarket lights and if the bumper has tabs for lights....it seems every picture I see has 2 lights mounted just outside the stinger, but can't find any write up on their being tabs or not.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Stubby / Stinger Comparison - Need Help (Rugged Ridge vs. Fab Four vs. Or Fab)