Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stubby bumpers...any downsides?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clemons
I love my genright stubby
Looks very good and functional!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eumel789
Funny...I was thinking the same LOL
Self-inflicted rock breaking a Jeep windshield, because of a short bumper? Even mud gets thrown up there only after you start turning the wheels. However, at that point the length of the bumper doesn' matter anymore. If you feel saver with a long bumper >>> goferit :-)
I am more worried about that hi-lift buddy ahead of me kicking up a rock.
Yea... tell me about it, getting my windshield replaced tomorrow after the guy in front of me sent a ton of rocks and mud flying my way last weekend.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
Yea... tell me about it, getting my windshield replaced tomorrow after the guy in front of me sent a ton of rocks and mud flying my way last weekend.
Sorry to hear that! Insurance will cover that, right?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:01 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by eumel789
Sorry to hear that! Insurance will cover that, right?
$500 deductable for all repairs. Windshield is gonna be $250
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

$500 deductable for all repairs. Windshield is gonna be $250
Wow! That sucks, but I also have 500 deductable, except for windshield breakage. That they pay in full I think.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

How do you manage to throw rocks and mud on your windshield because of a stubby bumper?
Trust me you will toss much more mud and rocks up at your windshield with a stubby. Most of it happens when you turn but with wide tread mud tires as they rotate past the top of the tire toward the front they encounter a big blast of wind from the jeep moving down the highway/road/trail at that point the mud/rocks/etc release and go flying into your windshield at whatever speed you are moving.

Heck if I am turned slightly even going through a tiny puddle in a parking lot my windshield is wet even.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dognights
Trust me you will toss much more mud and rocks up at your windshield with a stubby. Most of it happens when you turn but with wide tread mud tires as they rotate past the top of the tire toward the front they encounter a big blast of wind from the jeep moving down the highway/road/trail at that point the mud/rocks/etc release and go flying into your windshield at whatever speed you are moving.

Heck if I am turned slightly even going through a tiny puddle in a parking lot my windshield is wet even.
I've been running a stubby for about 10 months now and have never noticed what you're talking about. Are you running 13.5 or 14.5 wide tires?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been running a stubby for about 10 months now and have never noticed what you're talking about. Are you running 13.5 or 14.5 wide tires?
I agree. I have had none of these issues either
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree. I have had none of these issues either
Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dognights

I haven't experienced this either. Did you do a fender trim and lop off the front of your fenders too?

Quick Reply: Stubby bumpers...any downsides?