Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stubby bumper regrets?

Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubby bumper regrets?

First off, Merry Christmas! My question is, has anyone installed/ fabricated a short bumper for their rig and then gotten into a low speed collision and damaged their jeeps tires/ fenders /etc. that would have otherwise been protected by a long bumper? I personally have been hit by a giant tractor and my jeep was saved by my full size stock bumper. My dads cj has a bend in the bumper attesting to the benefits of a long bumper. I still will go stubby soon but just want to hear stories. Cheers!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

A JK stock bumper took on a giant tractor and actually protected something?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmm? The outer corners are just plastic and the frame that it sits on is not that thick of metal. I just installed a Warn Rock Crawler Stubby and that thing is very heavy duty compared to the stock.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can see how an off center low speed hit could tear the S out of a front wheel, linkage, etc that would otherwise be protected by the full width bumper. Solution = go with a modular bumper with removable ends and you will have much more flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea a tractor turned into me and hit the corner. The ends are steel an protected good.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mikestoick
Yea a tractor turned into me and hit the corner. The ends are steel an protected good.
how big was that giant tractor? We must have a different opinion of what a giant tractor is lol.
I lopped the ends of my new jku bumper off and mine were just plastic no steel until you are almost to the crush cans. The ends probably would have stopped a lawn tractor but not a full size tractor.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
A JK stock bumper took on a giant tractor and actually protected something?
^^ this. Hahaha.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
how big was that giant tractor? We must have a different opinion of what a giant tractor is lol. I lopped the ends of my new jku bumper off and mine were just plastic no steel until you are almost to the crush cans. The ends probably would have stopped a lawn tractor but not a full size tractor.
grain hauling tractor. It bounced me right off and into the ditch i actually hit the giant wagon filled with corn.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by mikestoick
grain hauling tractor. It bounced me right off and into the ditch i actually hit the giant wagon filled with corn.
Well, regardless of your unusually good fortune, your basic question is whether a full-width bumper will provide better protection than a stubby. And that's sort of a no-brainer. The tires, connected linkage, and front fenders are exposed--and the smaller that bumper, the greater that exposure. On top of that, some folks (look at expedition/overlanding rigs, except mine, LOL) also add a hood hoop that provides additional protection to the front end--the grill, headlights, etc. For me, I preferred the appearance of the mid-width (and having fog light holes) and figured that since I'm looking that direction, I will avoid running into things (my rear is a full-width for the opposite line of reasoning, LOL). That usually works, but not always ...

This is why I recommend against steel fenders, BTW. There probably would have been some serious sheetmetal damage rather than just a tore off fender from getting too close to a tree on a tight trail ...
Old 12-26-2013, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

I went with the Schmittybilt XRC M.O.D. for this very reason; I'm in stubby mode now but plan to order the mid-legnth end caps w/o fogs since I have them mounted next to the bull bar. The bumper is heavy duty and the end caps would make a difference in a corner collision methinks'.

Quick Reply: Stubby bumper regrets?