Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

sts turbo instead of Ripp supercharger

Old 12-19-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is off topic, but what fender flares are those on the STS jeep? I want narrower flares but do not want a flat flare set up.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But you don't want to slam that expensive turbo against a rock or get it caked in mud.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

I just spoke to a guy who will order the sts turbo...it only adds 40 hp

He will confirm the price tommorow
Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this remote turbo setup at SEMA this year. I believe it was a joint venture between jk-only and STS turbo systems.

At first I was impressed that they were able to fit the turbo system on the JK but after some thought it just doesn't seem as practical as the Ripp Gen2 solution.

The turbo is located right next to the evap canister (will it melt?) and with all the pipe I really wondered what mud would do to this system (overheating at mimimum). Granted, if it was in an JK that remained dry it may work well?

It also looks as if the stock airbox is retained and the intercooler is a little larger than the Ripp core.

Overall I think I am leaning more towards the Ripp option taking into acount how much of an involved install the turbo is, there is alot more tubing on the remote turbo setup.

Here are a few photos I took:

Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mixilpidilstick
I am pretty sure the RIPP Gen 2 kit will work with dual batteries. The tubing has been redone so it no longer goes through the battery area.
I have a Benchmark Dual battery system in my Jeep with a Gen2. Works perfectly no issues whatsoever.

This comment may sound one-sided because I have a RIPP system, but I am sincerely trying to be unbiased when I post to the board. I would be very hesitant to put an under body mounted turbo on my rig. They get very hot, they are mounted under the Jeep where rocks, dirt, salt, etc. lives and Oil line runs would be long and under the Jeep as well. As the other poster said, the intake air filter is also in the rear somewhere. A snorkel would not be an option.

People have problems with air lines to lockers all of the time. At least when those fail your locker just doesn't work. Cut an oil line and your engine and turbo could be toast in short order. It isn't as simple to bypass a turbo as it is a RIPP Gen2. It is plumed into your exhaust system. With a RIPP Gen2 you just switch to the stock serpentine belt and dive away.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I know this is off topic, but what fender flares are those on the STS jeep? I want narrower flares but do not want a flat flare set up.
They are the Trailmods dual fender system. If you google it you should find them. I think they are associated with jk-only
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

you are correct

when i was at SEMA i spoke with the guy

he looked like he was 21 lol

but JK only makes the fender flair and they worked with STS for the turbo

the fender was a two piece one for off road one for on road ... looked pretty good ..i just put my tire thou the factory flair so now I need a new one :( ...not sure if i should trust them but it looked alright ..bushwacker still has the nicer flair
Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 97jeeperdrummer
only 40hp? Is that to the wheels? I could understand 70 to the crank which ~ 40whp but thats pretty lame.. I know the motor isn't built for boost but I dont see how you would only net 40hp.. maybe set the boost to only reach 4psi or so?
40 to the wheels...my cousin study in miami and he met the turbo charged jeep owner and told me its not worth the money and he suggested the RIPP SC over it
Old 12-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Black rose
40 to the wheels...my cousin study in miami and he met the turbo charged jeep owner and told me its not worth the money and he suggested the RIPP SC over it
It's 100hp to the wheels not 40.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mixilpidilstick
I am pretty sure the RIPP Gen 2 kit will work with dual batteries. The tubing has been redone so it no longer goes through the battery area.
Awesome! Thanks for letting me know! I will check it out.

Hey Jkerr:
So is the Gen 2 Ripp worth it? I remember it being $2000 and I would have to pay someone to put it in ( I would mess it up), so I would have to add that in to the cost.
And I'm not the kind of guy to have that kind of money laying around so I would have to save for a while.

So In your opinion, is it worth getting?

I'm glad to hear it works with the dual battery set-up.

Thanks!

Last edited by HotFrosty; 12-20-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: sts turbo instead of Ripp supercharger