Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

sts turbo instead of Ripp supercharger

Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts turbo instead of Ripp supercharger

ststurbo.com/jeep_wrangler

so i stumbled upon this today and i am considering it over the ripp supercharger. any opinions on the matter, pros/cons?

price has not been released yet but it has to be close. and now sts is installing for free.

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-17-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

For me it would depend on if it would work with a dual battery set-up. I don't think the Ripp will but I could be wrong.

Last edited by HotFrosty; 12-20-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Adding the "k" in think
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have one of our employee's 4dr getting fitted for the first 4dr turbo setup of theirs.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

I have the STS twin turbo system on my Camaro, great system, but the air filters are mounted under the rear, not a great spot on an offroad vehicle. Just my .02.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see any pictures of the turbo itself. And it looks like the jeep is using the stock muffler as well. I dont know about headers too... hard to tell from the pictures. Also, that intercooler looks like it would impede airflow to the stock radiator.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotFrosty
For me it would depend on if it would work with a dual battery set-up. I don't thin the Ripp will but I could be wrong.
I am pretty sure the RIPP Gen 2 kit will work with dual batteries. The tubing has been redone so it no longer goes through the battery area.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out this one also

www.youtube.com/watch?v=flc6mVFI1x8
Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shj_jeep
check out this one also

www.youtube.com/watch?v=flc6mVFI1x8
Old 12-18-2010, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would be leary of a turbo unless you are staying away from water. Seems to me the exhaust side of the turbo would get hot enough that when contacted by cool water you may end up with a crack. I know that heat alone will destroy the exhaust side of a turbo if its being pushed beyond its efficiency range. maybe im wrong but seems like if you do many water crossings the heating and cooling of the exhaust side and the downpipe maybe an issue. just my .02. i dont know if they have done anything to combat this or not. also will it work with a snorkel? Also, how low an RPM does the turbo spool at other wise you end up with unusable power.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Woody
I would be leary of a turbo unless you are staying away from water. Seems to me the exhaust side of the turbo would get hot enough that when contacted by cool water you may end up with a crack. I know that heat alone will destroy the exhaust side of a turbo if its being pushed beyond its efficiency range. maybe im wrong but seems like if you do many water crossings the heating and cooling of the exhaust side and the downpipe maybe an issue. just my .02. i dont know if they have done anything to combat this or not. also will it work with a snorkel? Also, how low an RPM does the turbo spool at other wise you end up with unusable power.
All good points, but I don't think the water crossing thing will be an issue they have had under car kits on vette's and other cars that get exposed to all types of weather elemets and I have never heard that being an issue.

However, the low end usable power is a possible issue. Tradionally, you do have to spool a turbo to get it to make power.

Quick Reply: sts turbo instead of Ripp supercharger