Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Strongest gear sets

Old 07-17-2019, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strongest gear sets

Looking to Re-gear a manual 2014 Rubicon Unlimited I think 4.88 but want to know what manufacture everybody likes, or is it all over the board?
Old 07-17-2019, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I prefer Ten Factory because of the hassle free no questions asked warranty. Just email them a pic of the broken gear and they next day out a new set
Old 07-17-2019, 01:39 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I think this is gonna be one of those things that you get scattered opinions across the board. For me it's Yukon. Probably have a lot of G2's rolling around out there cuz they seem to be a little cheaper in price and I think shops slap em in and the customer is really only interested in the bottom line.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Whatever brand your installer recommends, since they likely have a preferred brand and they are the ones that will be handling any install/warranty issues. If you are worried about strength, do some reading on cryo.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installers will usually say they like genuine Dana gears the best (not their imported line). The imported gears from Korea and other ports east don't have the quality control or heat treating processes found in U.S. foundries/factories. Another other good gear set is the Motive/Ten Factory Italian gears. They are very nice gears.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Yukon 4.56 gears installed in Nov 2016. It was the choice of my mechanic who I consider a guru and always has a bunch of jeeps outside his shop waiting for repairs and mods I have had no problems with the Yukon and they get me up steep grades all the time..
Old 07-21-2019, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I really don't think you need to go looking for the "strongest." If you're going to strip/blow a set of gears, you're probably in a situation where they'll all face the same fate. I run Yukons personally, just because the guy who did my gears uses them and prefers them. Had he preferred or stocked G2, Ten Factory, or Motive...I would've gone with one of those.

I'd recommend talking to whoever is going to be doing your gears, and buy from them for a few reasons:
  • Missing parts or items can cause delays in getting your rig back in a reasonable time, and is annoying for both parties (shop space)
  • They get better deals than you, and will transfer the savings if you're buying the parts from them and paying for their labor
Old 07-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I would agree with some previous posts - anything US made would be a good value purchase for reasons already mentioned. Yukon or Dana. Euro stuff even though it is good cannot handle the low down torque North American V8s produce.

Quick Reply: Strongest gear sets