Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Strongest Diff Covers and what to do with rear shock mounts?

Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strongest Diff Covers and what to do with rear shock mounts?

I do a lot of trails with a lot of rocks. I notice there are 2 things that are taking the worst from the rocks the diff covers which are paper thin and my rear shock mounts. I want the stongest diff covers I can get? Also if you guys have some upgrades for the rear shock mounts that hang down like landing gear on a plane. I would appreciate Thanks
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Riddler or PSC diff covers get my vote. My riddlers payed for themselves yesterday when I wacked the front diff on a rock, and dragged the rear where the stock cover would have peeled off.

As for the shock mounts, I would cut them off, rotate them up and weld them back on.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Evo Rockstar skids will take care of the shocks.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Evo skids. Rough Stuff diff covers 3/8 plate steel. h ttp://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/diffcovers.html
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	EVO-ROCKSTAR-SKIDS_medium (535x356).jpg
Views:	353
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	372407Click image for larger version

Name:	ROE-GRINDER-2 (720x480).jpg
Views:	362
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	372408

I have checked out the EVO rockstar skids but what happen when you move the shock up 1.5" wont you loose wheel travel? I like the idea of more ground clearance. I also been looking at the Rebel offroad Ginders which keeps the shock mounted at the stock location. What do you guys think? Also just checked out the Ruff Stuff and the Riddler diff covers both are very impressive. Where do the ARBs stand? I really like the looks of them but are they as good as they say they are? Thanks again
Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie4
Attachment 372407Attachment 372408

I have checked out the EVO rockstar skids but what happen when you move the shock up 1.5" wont you loose wheel travel? I like the idea of more ground clearance. I also been looking at the Rebel offroad Ginders which keeps the shock mounted at the stock location. What do you guys think? Also just checked out the Ruff Stuff and the Riddler diff covers both are very impressive. Where do the ARBs stand? I really like the looks of them but are they as good as they say they are? Thanks again
Your travel will more than likely be limited by tire rub and bump stop more than it will be by your shocks. You will however gain an extra 1.5" of droop.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

I saw a video a while ago that tested diff covers. They basically shot bullets of different calibers at them. For the most part, they all held up well until you got to the heavier caliber stuff. Even the stock diff covers did surprisingly well, relatively speaking.

The Riddlers, PSC, ARB...they are all fine. I would recommend getting lube lockers as those will help protect the seal if you smash your diff. Before I switched, anytime I hit a rock hard enough, I would end up breaking the RTV seal causing seeapage. The Lubelockers have completely solved that issue for me.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

I have to say I have been checking more into the Ruff Stuff diff covers and they are looking very impressive.Click image for larger version

Name:	album%20dif%20cover%20pic.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	372431 3/8 flat steel they have to be supper strong
Old 09-30-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D_engel
Your travel will more than likely be limited by tire rub and bump stop more than it will be by your shocks. You will however gain an extra 1.5" of droop.
This is true. The shocks have alot more travel. The bumpstop will stop your travel way before the shock reaches it's full travel. I have the skids and they work very well. plenty of rash on them which is good.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

I like the riddler, I have them on front and rear with no issues. I cut the rear shock mounts off and mounted them up higher up and out of the way.

Quick Reply: Strongest Diff Covers and what to do with rear shock mounts?