Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stripped the Threads In My Differential Installing My CRC and Need Help!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stripped the Threads In My Differential Installing My CRC and Need Help!

I'm in the process of installing my CRC and knew it was going too easy. While torquing the new longer bolts to 30 lbs I stripped one of the bolt holes in the bottom of my differential. I know I can drill it out and install a heli-coil but I've never done this and I don't really want to learn here. My question is: the hole is significantly longer, probably about 3/8"-1/2" of threads past the stripped portion, can I use a longer bolt? The aftermarket bolts are 3/4 so can I use a 1" to 1 1/8" bolt? I was able to remove the damaged portion of the threads and minus the washer I can get the new bolt to continue to thread in. Any help will be appreciated it was a horrible feeling when I felt the torque wrench have no more resistance and didn't here the click of the wrench.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try using a tap to clean up the threads. Sounds like a longer bolt would be fine. Make sure that enough thread engagement that is equal to a greater than your bolt diameter.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought ten 1" grade 8 bolts to replace them all. I also bought a couple 1 1/4". Those were too long but I stacked 2 extra washers so it didn't bottom out and no leaks. I also torqued everything to 25 ft lbs instead of 30. Even 25 felt like it was getting close to too tight. Does anyone know if I'l have problems only torqued to 25? I'm gonna check them after I get it running again and it goes through some hot and cold cycles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120330_185705.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	297683

Quick Reply: Stripped the Threads In My Differential Installing My CRC and Need Help!