Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stretched frame tow without DOT flipping out??

Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stretched frame tow without DOT flipping out??

So I have a project in mind and I'm thinking of a few options. do any of you guys know if I stretch a JK frames wheelbase to 130 in and put leafs under the back to up the load hauling if DOT will give you a hard time towing with it? My overall scope here is a extended off the grid expedition vehicle.

If so my only other options I'm thinking would be the following vehicle frames and grafting on a modified jeeps body but I'm not sure about the off road capabilities of them. besides the off road abilities I'm looking at weight and upping tow capacity to at least 7k lbs. figure if I change frames why not tow more then. If Chrysler would just give me a j8 frame prob solved lol.

1) Chevrolet Silverado 1500 133.9 in.
2) Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 126.0 in.
3) Chevrolet Avalanche 130.0 in.
4) Chevrolet Suburban 130.0 in.

I'm open to all opinions on this so anything is appreciated
Old 08-03-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the aev J8 had a higher tow limit and it is leaf sprung as well
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also look into the AEV Brute Double Cab kit and if need be modify the rear suspension to leafs
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

I think the AEV J8 is over 7k but not quit 8k but the only problem I seen with that is last I heard they don't just sell the frame. I'm rather not buy a $60,000 or up jeep just to cut it into 1000 pieces to modify it how I'm thinking. I plan on widening the body like 8 or 9 in to give it more capacity inside. That would bring it out just short of where the fender flares come out to now on a stock JK.

The 4 door brute has a wheelbase of 139 inches which isn't really a huge deal but I'd rather not go that long. It's a consideration though. Do you happen to know if the framework that they do could posably raise the tow limit?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rick77
So I have a project in mind and I'm thinking of a few options. do any of you guys know if I stretch a JK frames wheelbase to 130 in and put leafs under the back to up the load hauling if DOT will give you a hard time towing with it? My overall scope here is a extended off the grid expedition vehicle.

I'm open to all opinions on this so anything is appreciated
I don't believe the DOT has anything to say or do about private/non-commercial vehicles towing.

Now if you are towing something down the highway in an un-safe manor, like with a chain, you can be stopped, but as far as a modified vehicle and a proper trailer, I would say you will be OK.

Disclaimer; I am not an attorney, but I do play one on TV.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Kind of what I was thinking but I couldn't find anything about frame modifications. I also looked for tube chassis towing a trailer but I can't find anything on that either. Nothing definite anyways.

Quick Reply: Stretched frame tow without DOT flipping out??