Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Street driving review RIPP SC anyone first hand experiance

Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street driving review RIPP SC anyone first hand experiance

2008 unlimited 35" tires 5:13 gears auto trans.

the gear change really helped, still lacking accelaration and power, at what rpm will the supercharger begin to help? is there an improvement at 1500 to 2500rpm.

I will be pulling a trailer with dirt bikes and other toys on the highway, not looking forward to being passed on every upgrade along the way.

anyone with first hand experiance.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by storch
2008 unlimited 35" tires 5:13 gears auto trans.

the gear change really helped, still lacking accelaration and power, at what rpm will the supercharger begin to help? is there an improvement at 1500 to 2500rpm.

I will be pulling a trailer with dirt bikes and other toys on the highway, not looking forward to being passed on every upgrade along the way.

anyone with first hand experiance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxcgPpdsyk This video is of a stock LJ vs a Stock JK - Then a Supercharged JK vs the Same LJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFEQlSLdMY ripptech

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 02-21-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

I have had the Gen 2 Stage 2 in mine for about 3000 miles now. I have 5.13's and 37" Toyos. I also pull a Kendon 3 bike trailer (400 Pounds) + 2 bikes. My 450 and my sons 70.

The supercharger makes a huge difference in pulling it. Haven't had a chance to pull long distance on the highway but my normal pull is about 25 miles round trip with a lot of elevation change. Where I would have to down shift to second gear without the supercharger to maintain 50+ mph, now I can maintain the same speed in third and still have power to accelerate.

The supercharger is felt right off of idle but it is not until it reaches around 2500 rpm before it really starts pulling hard. With that being said, the supercharger is so smooth with no big hit of power. It just builds power without a lot of drama. Ripp has done a great job of making it drive like it has a bigger motor than it does.

I never had a problem with mine with just the 5.13's around town. My problem was on the highway. Any headwind or grade and keeping speed was a struggle. It will still have to downshift out of overdrive but not nearly as often and when it does you have plenty of power to maintain speed or accelerate.

Just don't expect miracles with a 5000+ pound brick. You can only do so much.

I love my supercharger and feel it was money well spent, but it will never break any records and I have a 66 Corvette for going fast quickly.

Mike
Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback of course i have more questions

Do you feel an acceleration improvment in the lower rpms with out stomping on the pedal.

Right now at a cruse if I push on the pedal moderately nothing much good happens untill I push down further and it backshift and makes alot of noise from the 1000+ rpm increase.

Did your fuel economy change at all, at 75mph with variable head winds and elevation changes I get 15 mpg, if I draft or the wind is at my back i can break 20 mpg on the highway.

If stock performance was rated at a 3 and a Hemi was a 9 what rating would the Ripp kit get.

Last question I know from my old offshore boating days that an intercooler made a huge improvement on my supercharged big blocks, Is the intercooler option a must with this kit?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Yes you do feel it at part throttle. The system has a bypass valve that dumps the boost until it is needed and also during shifts. It is quick to react and it is surprising how often you see the system go to boost.

If you are in overdrive at 70-75 (2300rpm+/-) you can see it develop around 1 psi. You can feel it but it is not overwhelming in acceleration. Once it downshifts the acceleration is firm. Overdrive is soooo low on this transmission that if you want to accelerate you really need to downshift.

Mileage is pretty much the same for me. Never saw 15 before and don't see it now. My mileage is with in a couple of tenths either way. I didn't buy it to improve mileage and I am very happy that it didn't make it worse.

I have never driven a Hemi Jeep so it is hard to say. I would have to rate it high though 7-8 compared to stock. It will never be a sports car.

What kind of boat? Still have an '86 Donzi Z-25 with Gale Banks twin turbo on it. Used to be fast until the stepped hulls came around.....

Hard to say on the intercooler. Been pretty cool here since I got it (50-60's) and I have never seen the intake temp over 110 even on the freeway under constant boost. I would do it for the ability to tune further and for the reliability.

Just another example of the difference in power-- I had the kit installed down in LA at EVO. I had to drive it down from San Francisco 400 miles. Going over the Grapevine between the valley and LA I was all the way into 2d gear and barely able to maintain 55 near the top.

On the way home I was doing 70-75 in 3rd (3300 rpm) the entire way up the Grapevine with a headwind. And I still had power to accelerate.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At lower RPM's you can definatly feel that its there. Just a normal acceleration your going to go upwards of 2k rpm.

You will still hear the noise on downshift but with the RIPP it will literally take off.

My fuel economy pretty much stayed the same. 13 mpg.

I agree with the 7 - 8 with the RIPP based on stock being 3. Just makes for a very enjoyable ride, not such a struggle anymore.

I got the intercooler and here are my observations on it. Stock - ambiant air temp to intake air temp 20 deg higher at intake. Intercooler - ambiant air temp to intake, same 20 deg. Being that the blower compresses air (creating heat) it keeps the intake air the same as stock while delivering 50 more times the air. I hope that made sense.

If I had to do it all over again??? Definatly!!

Last edited by YingYang; 02-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by storch
Thanks for the feedback of course i have more questions

Do you feel an acceleration improvment in the lower rpms with out stomping on the pedal.

Right now at a cruse if I push on the pedal moderately nothing much good happens untill I push down further and it backshift and makes alot of noise from the 1000+ rpm increase.

Did your fuel economy change at all, at 75mph with variable head winds and elevation changes I get 15 mpg, if I draft or the wind is at my back i can break 20 mpg on the highway.

If stock performance was rated at a 3 and a Hemi was a 9 what rating would the Ripp kit get.

Last question I know from my old offshore boating days that an intercooler made a huge improvement on my supercharged big blocks, Is the intercooler option a must with this kit?
Excellent info guys - really spot on ...

We designed our kit to act like a low pressure turbo - we never want cylinder temps to skyrocket - so we used an over sized blower and take advantage of the air volume as much as the boost. The idea is to never really grenade the engine with boost so you get years not month out of it...

Today we eclipsed we sold 10 systems - most of them to clients who either pull or have 37's - the information listed from Yingyang and wytmike should set expectations perfectly. This system fills in the gap your missing with boost when needed without sacrificing engine integrity and MPG.

RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: Street driving review RIPP SC anyone first hand experiance