Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Strange Wobble (40-50mph and 60-70mph)

Old 08-25-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Wobble (40-50mph and 60-70mph)

Ok I've searched tons of the "Wobble" and "Death wobble" threads and I still haven't found the answer I am looking for. I have recently ruled out the Full-traction adjustable track bar as that was just replaced with a new one and is snug. Also my drag-link ball joints were worn out so I replaced that as well. I recently upraded my tires from my 34" Goodyear MTR's to a set of used (but in good condition) 35" Goodyear MTR's with kevlar. Two of the tires look like they have some uneven wearing or cupping but I had these road-forced balanced and I noticed a much smoother ride but I'm still gettting an intermittent wobble in the front end at around 45 mph and again around 65. And it doesn't always do it. And when it does do it, you can even look outside the drivers door at the front tire and literally see the tire wobble back and forth. It does it for a little bit and then stops and does it again. I recently had my rock krawler tie rod adjusted so that the toe was 1/8th of an inch toed-in. That might have changed perhaps with the tierod adjustment and the new tires but in theory it shouldn't have. The only other thing I can think of is that i notice the ends on the new drag link are much stiffer from before. I was told this is how they are new. The tie rod ends on the rock krawler tie rod (which are the same ends as the pitman arm end of the draglink) seem to give a ton of freeplay. When I have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth the tie rod moves up and down so much so that I might want to change the position of my steering stabilizer because it might touch the draglink.

Sorry for the wordy post but are there any other ideas out there as to what this might be? I'm going to check my toe this morning to see if it has changed somehow. My only other thought is that maybe the tie rod ends have worn prematurely from having a loose track bar for a while or the loose draglink i was driving on for many miles until i realized it was worn.

Oh and just another note that it did have this wobble at 65mph before i installed the new larger tires. But I never noticed the one at 45 mph as much as I do now. It was there before but wasn't of any significance. Perhaps the larger tires just amplify something that was happening before.

Last edited by pkess3; 08-25-2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had my lift on for about a year before I could afford tires. I had no wobble from the lift, but when new tires are mounted, I get the same at 40mph.

Looking at the wheels it looks like they had a hard time getting one in balance. I have a ton of weights stuck on the inside. I need to make some time to go back to them and re-mount and re-balance it.

Check your wheels and see if you have a bunch of lead on one and you might have the same issue.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkess3
Ok I've searched tons of the "Wobble" and "Death wobble" threads and I still haven't found the answer I am looking for. I have recently ruled out the Full-traction adjustable track bar as that was just replaced with a new one and is snug. Also my drag-link ball joints were worn out so I replaced that as well. I recently upraded my tires from my 34" Goodyear MTR's to a set of used (but in good condition) 35" Goodyear MTR's with kevlar. Two of the tires look like they have some uneven wearing or cupping but I had these road-forced balanced and I noticed a much smoother ride but I'm still gettting an intermittent wobble in the front end at around 45 mph and again around 65. And it doesn't always do it. And when it does do it, you can even look outside the drivers door at the front tire and literally see the tire wobble back and forth. It does it for a little bit and then stops and does it again. I recently had my rock krawler tie rod adjusted so that the toe was 1/8th of an inch toed-in. That might have changed perhaps with the tierod adjustment and the new tires but in theory it shouldn't have. The only other thing I can think of is that i notice the ends on the new drag link are much stiffer from before. I was told this is how they are new. The tie rod ends on the rock krawler tie rod (which are the same ends as the pitman arm end of the draglink) seem to give a ton of freeplay. When I have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth the tie rod moves up and down so much so that I might want to change the position of my steering stabilizer because it might touch the draglink.

Sorry for the wordy post but are there any other ideas out there as to what this might be? I'm going to check my toe this morning to see if it has changed somehow. My only other thought is that maybe the tie rod ends have worn prematurely from having a loose track bar for a while or the loose draglink i was driving on for many miles until i realized it was worn.

Oh and just another note that it did have this wobble at 65mph before i installed the new larger tires. But I never noticed the one at 45 mph as much as I do now. It was there before but wasn't of any significance. Perhaps the larger tires just amplify something that was happening before.
check your ball joints!! i have a wobble that became alot more pronounced after my 35's went on. my ball joints all have play. the right side is worse. not saying its your problem, but check them useing a bar under tire while jacked up. oh i got 26k on the clock.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

THanks for the advice! After driving my brother's car while he drove the jeep on the freeway, I was able to see visually that the tires are what's wobbling. I looked at all the suspension parts and they were stationary yet I could see the tires wobbling on the rim. I swapped the rear tires to the front and the fronts to the rear and the wobbling is less noticeable now.

I guess the slight cupping on the front tires could be the culprit. The other two are not nearly as worn. It's not really too terrible but I don't want to wear out any other joints from excessive wobbling.

Last edited by pkess3; 08-26-2010 at 06:31 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What PSI are you running? You may want to check all four tires.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

THanks for the advice! After driving my brother's car while he drove the jeep on the freeway, I was able to see visually that the tires are what's wobbling. I looked at all the suspension parts and they were stationary yet I could see the tires wobbling on the rim. I swapped the rear tires to the front and the fronts to the rear and the wobbling is less noticeable now.

I guess the slight cupping on the front tires could be the culprit. The other two are not nearly as worn. It's not really too terrible but I don't want to wear out any other joints from excessive wobbling.
Having the same problem and mentioned to my shop. Took it in to get some other work done and they showed me how the ball joints were a little loose when they had it up on the lift.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

if it's speed specific get them balanced and rotated...

had this problem twice. finally bought the lifetime balance/rotation at my local place and now I don't worry about it!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Excessive wheel weights could be the cause. As the weight spreads out along the rim it throws the balance off and most balancing machines have a hard time compensating for the weight spread.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

I recently upraded my tires from my 34" Goodyear MTR's to a set of used (but in good condition) 35" Goodyear MTR's with kevlar. Two of the tires look like they have some uneven wearing or cupping but I had these road-forced balanced and I noticed a much smoother ride but I'm still gettting an intermittent wobble in the front end at around 45 mph and again around 65. And it doesn't always do it. And when it does do it, you can even look outside the drivers door at the front tire and literally see the tire wobble back and forth. It does it for a little bit and then stops and does it again.

If there was some irregular wear on your tires, balancing by itself isn't going to fix the issue. You'll definitely need to rebalance after getting some miles on them and the high rubber spots being worn down a bit. Probably a rebalance after the first 500 miles and another one at about 1500 miles. Using the tires with the most signs of irregular wear in the rear should be of some help, keeping the troublesome tires away from steering components until they are closer to being true.

Additionally, it sounds as if there might be two issues and the culprits could be numerous with the front end parts and steering components. After checking your front end components for any play and checking the torque on parts such as the track bar, I would remove the steering stabilizer so that you have a more positive feedback mechanism of where the problem actually lies.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

My Jeep started this a while back, re-balanced the tired x-terrains, and it helped. Loosened and retorqued the entire lift , readjusted track bars for sag over time, and then found right side balljoint play. Well.....
I am guessing even if yourtires are balanced, you will get shimmy over a bump or pothole, because of the worn ball joints. My mileage is @ 34 500 .
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Strange Wobble (40-50mph and 60-70mph)