Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Strange steering issue help.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange steering issue help.

Looking for some input to what might be up with my steering.

I was backing out of my driveway this morning at full left turn lock as i was going down a small bump, the steering wheel felt a bit tight almost like some binding or rubbing but i know nothing is touching.
I stoped out of the driveway and moved it forward and backward a meter or 2 a few times, something felt a little weird like the steering wheel or something isnt quite right, buyt all in all it was still lining up straight.

I took it 20 meters down the road then tried to turn left into a driveway and i couldnt turn it much, i really had to force it to turn left.
I managed to drive it around the block slowly and really forcing it to turn left.

Turning right is totally fine.

When i got it home i can slowly turn it left again without a problem.

It doesnt look like any bars are loose or anythign at all is rubbing or touching at either full lock.

Iv got a recent install 4.5" lift, steering flip adaptor, RCVs, 5.13s, dynatrac BJs.

The only thing i can think of is i removed the front DS a day ago, and of course to do that i put the jeep in 4wd-hi, is it at all possible when i removed the DS while stil lin the 4wd that the front diff is somehow locked?
I have driven it since i removed the DS however without any problems yesterday.

The only other thing i can think of that i cant test right now becuase im at work is that maybe something is up when im still slightly on the break when trying to turn left and soemthing there is catching.

I dunno, any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

OK, how about a vid or 2
This one is the point at which it binds up trying to turn left.

These are the sounds of trying to force the wheel to turn more

Old 09-07-2011, 03:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe look at you steering stabilizer. Do you have any steering knock?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

the dampener is not bottoming out if thats what you mean.
Or, if you mean that i might have a relocation bracket that is catching then that is also a no go.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

sorry, couldn't see much on video, but I'd look at pitman arm, tie rod and for broken u-joints at both wheels.

Checked power steering fluid level, looked for signs of leakage?

Just revisited video - the sucking noise? look at power steering pump. with engine off, grab the end of it and see how much play you have - you may have to pull belt off.

Last edited by jeeeep; 09-07-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a similar issue. When I back out of my garage with the steering well cranked to the right, the steering binds when I put it in drive and go to turn it back to the left....I put it back in reverse and the drive again and it goes away. I took it to a local shop for an alignment and mentioned the problem. They thought it was because of the position of my steering stabilizer. After they adjusted the stabilizer it was still doing the same thing so i took it back. They looked into a few things and are saying the the steering box is most likely going out because there were small metal shavings in the fluid. Anybody else have this problem? I don't know much about the steering system....does it sound like that could be the problem the the OP and I are dealing with?

Quick Reply: Strange steering issue help.