Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock Wheels + KM2's?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wheel with IGOFSN and he has stock rubi wheels with 35x12.5 and he does some crazy stuff at low tire presure.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schpeen
putting a wide tire on a skinny rim will come unbeaded easier if you plan on doing any wheelin especially if you plan on airing down any
I usually air down to 10 -15 psi with my stock rims and everything has been ok!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

some of us have to be cheap, and I disagree with leaving it alone. Do what you want and what makes you happy.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Where are you guys finding KM2's in a 16" rim?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default I run stock rubicon rims with BFG 35" KM2

I have air down to 15psi using 34" Maxxis Big Horns on stock rubicon rims with no problems at all. I now have the BFG KM2's and can't image that it will be a problem either.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trucco
I usually air down to 10 -15 psi with my stock rims and everything has been ok!!!

hey trucco, those 33" of yours are 12.50 or 13.50?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe i'll just save up enough and do the whole sha-bang. wheels(Enduro) tires(35 KM2's) lift(BB) spacers(no idea) i can see it now.. and it looks painful
how many of you only bought four wheels and four tires? i have seen some people with the tiny stock wheel on the back...and it looks very odd. don't think i'm gona do that

Last edited by Yamaha90; 03-20-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Yeah - the narrower rims actually work better off road, the wider rims work better on the street.

There are points of diminishing returns, mostly due to WHAT tire...some have stronger beads than others, and/or air down better.

The main thing is sidewall roll/blown beads. If you have a wide rim, and you are against a rock, the rim is against the rock, and that tends to blow the bead more easily when its leaned on, etc.

The narrower rim has more sidewall bulge typically, and the tire's sidewall is against the rock before the rim, so the rim is protected at that point.

If you run tires with weak sidewalls, well, no matter WHAT you do rim-wise...you're going to have more problems.

If aired down TOO much, w/o beadlocks, etc...too much sidewall roll can blow a bead too, so, there is a balance to be struck....generally, LOTS of people run 7" rims with 12.5" tires.

As for 5 vs 4 new tires - You NEED 5 matching tires, esp if you have ABS, traction control, lockers, or other gizmo's that will go insane with difference diameter tires on the same axle....

...and, another point to consider...if you offroaded into terrain that required the use of 4 tough off road tires to get INTO, and, got into this terrain, and it blew a tough large diameter off road tire....will you be able to make it back OUT on 3 tough tires and one wussy donut?

Is it worth it to lose a weekend of planned wheeling over/waste your freinds day dragging your three legged beast back out, instead of running trails, etc?

I know tons of people who get any old POS tire for a spare...but, that's only ok for street work if the diameter matches, and, if the trails REQUIRED good tires in the first place, and the trail KILLED a "good" tire....what's the same trail going to do to your POS spare?

People on trails that can be run on bald POS tires break even, people who spent hard earned money on decent tires BECAUSE they wanted to be ABLE to run certain trails are screwed on those trails.

Etc.

Food For thought.

Been through enough strap - a - thons for POS spares to know, POS spares DO NOT make people appreciate your thoughtfulness....as you can ruin their day, etc.

Last edited by TEEJ; 03-23-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by easttnruby
Where are you guys finding KM2's in a 16" rim?
I got mine at:

Discount Tire Direct

Old 03-20-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rroberto
hey trucco, those 33" of yours are 12.50 or 13.50?
Mines are 33" x 12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ ... they are great.

Quick Reply: Stock Wheels + KM2's?