Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock stubby without rivets???

Old 02-25-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock stubby without rivets???

Anyone tried to make a stock stubby using the factory ends and not use rivets or the plastic push pins to hold it in place? I want to make mine a stubby, but I don't care for the look of the rivets. So, I was thinking about using some bad ass epoxy or something similar to glue the ends where they would over lap and no glue would be seen either. I'm trying to make the look as clean as possible.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by eslack32
Anyone tried to make a stock stubby using the factory ends and not use rivets or the plastic push pins to hold it in place? I want to make mine a stubby, but I don't care for the look of the rivets. So, I was thinking about using some bad ass epoxy or something similar to glue the ends where they would over lap and no glue would be seen either. I'm trying to make the look as clean as possible.
Yes, lots of people do it without rivets. Some use a heating element (torch or clothes iron) to melt the plastic ends on. When cleaned up, i like it more than rivets.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Junkie

Ive seen some people use a heat gun and actually melt the two ends and fuse them back together and it looked great! There are a couple threads on here with pictures and comments/questions, just search for em.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I cut the ends except for the front plastic. Then I took a propane torch, heated it up and bent it back. Then I just took a hot knife and melted the pieces together. Its not 100% cosmetically appealing, but I like it, it works and I'm buying a new winch bumper in a little bit anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1015347508.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	281973

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-515942476.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	281974
Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Spetz
I cut the ends except for the front plastic. Then I took a propane torch, heated it up and bent it back. Then I just took a hot knife and melted the pieces together. Its not 100% cosmetically appealing, but I like it, it works and I'm buying a new winch bumper in a little bit anyway.

Attachment 281973

Attachment 281974
Is it a pain to cut thru the metal piece on the bumper?
or did you go thru it like butter?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine and cut new ends from a Rubbermaid tub. Used the hot iron trick to melt back together, sanded down the edges and hit it with bedliner. As for the metal part of the bumper, my dremel with a composite wheel cut it pretty easy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-994825540.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	282041   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3940047559.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	282042  
Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dagley918
I did mine and cut new ends from a Rubbermaid tub. Used the hot iron trick to melt back together, sanded down the edges and hit it with bedliner. As for the metal part of the bumper, my dremel with a composite wheel cut it pretty easy.
That turned out great!! Don't suppose you did any kind of write up on it? That is how I'd like mine to look. So that's just cut out 'homemade' end caps bedlined? Love it!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cozmik
That turned out great!! Don't suppose you did any kind of write up on it? That is how I'd like mine to look. So that's just cut out 'homemade' end caps bedlined? Love it!
Just finished mine the other day too, I got probably 95% of my information from this thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...h-covered-ends...

You will probably have to tweak it a bit to make it work for you. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kmfoland
Just finished mine the other day too, I got probably 95% of my information from this thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...h-covered-ends...

You will probably have to tweak it a bit to make it work for you. Good luck!
Thanks for the link!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dagley918
looks nice!

Quick Reply: Stock stubby without rivets???