Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock Spare Tire Holder

Old 05-16-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Spare Tire Holder

Hey there quick, probably easy question:

So I'm getting some 35" Kevlars on 17" ProComp 8069s,my question is will the 35 inch spare tire fit on the stock saharas spare tire holder? Or will I have to run without a spare until I get a new tire holder? Also, if you know of a good tire holder, I'd love to know of it. It's one of the next things to do on my list just not sure how soon I can do it.

Thanks for the answers as always people.

-Boots
Old 05-16-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBoots
Hey there quick, probably easy question:

So I'm getting some 35" Kevlars on 17" ProComp 8069s,my question is will the 35 inch spare tire fit on the stock saharas spare tire holder? Or will I have to run without a spare until I get a new tire holder? Also, if you know of a good tire holder, I'd love to know of it. It's one of the next things to do on my list just not sure how soon I can do it.

Thanks for the answers as always people.

-Boots
Its going to depend on the width of your tires and the backspacing on those wheels. I had to use an extension for my 35' on my stock holder but it rattled way too much...I would not recommend doing it for long and it will warp your tailgate before long!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have heard of 35" tires on stock holders and breaking off or warping tailgate holder.

Chido

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-16-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: blacklisted manf.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

In that case I will definitely be getting the spare tire holder sooner than planned! Haha

thanks for the quick replies guys
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran a 35" tire (aftermarket wheels) on my tail gate for close to a year and even had the MPAC tailgate rack on also. no damage, no rattling, no issues whatsoever. i wheel it pretty hard, also. if you have it on tight, you should be fine. people "hear" of 35s doing this or that to stock carriers/gates, but where is the proof? i have only seen 1 pic on here of someones rivets breaking. i know another guy that has 35" Km2s on stock 17" Moabs without any issue to tail gate and he too wheels it pretty hard. i dont think he needed an extension, either.

its not something i would recommend forever and i wouldnt leave the tail gate open for any real length of time.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

It depends on the backspacing of your wheels. I use stock wheels and I had to add a spacer to my tire carrier.
Either way, if you mount a 35 to your stock carrier, you will eventually damage your tailgate.

Quick Reply: Stock Spare Tire Holder