Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock spare tire carrier questions

Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock spare tire carrier questions

If recently upgraded to a 4 inch lift and 35" tires with 17" aluminum wheels. Was just curious on the weight that the rear tire carrier could hold up too? I will eventually get a new bumper with a tire carrier but don't wanna drop another thousand right now lol. Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am in the same boat I really want a full size spare but I don't want my tailgate to fall off haha.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done, mine has been on for a year. But I pray every day.......
Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Staytru06
If recently upgraded to a 4 inch lift and 35" tires with 17" aluminum wheels. Was just curious on the weight that the rear tire carrier could hold up too? I will eventually get a new bumper with a tire carrier but don't wanna drop another thousand right now lol. Thanks
2 or 4 door? If you're so worried about bustin your stock tire carrier or tailgate, then throw the spare in the cargo area til you get a bumper and tire swing. Just some food for thought....

Or just do like others do who'll chime in soon and just put it on the stock carrier.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

My stock carrier (with an extension to make it work) lasted about a month before I could feel my hinges crapping out. I took it off, but now my tailgate even with out the spare doesn't open/close as easy as it used too. And it was only a 35" tire. Had to break down and order an aftermarket bumper/carrier.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC

2 or 4 door? If you're so worried about bustin your stock tire carrier or tailgate, then throw the spare in the cargo area til you get a bumper and tire swing. Just some food for thought....

Or just do like others do who'll chime in soon and just put it on the stock carrier.
Yeah I am doing that for now and it's a 4 door, just hate the way it looks with out a tire back there. Better safe then sorry I guess.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeMongo
My stock carrier (with an extension to make it work) lasted about a month before I could feel my hinges crapping out. I took it off, but now my tailgate even with out the spare doesn't open/close as easy as it used too. And it was only a 35" tire. Had to break down and order an aftermarket bumper/carrier.
Exactly what I'd like not to happen lol thanks.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ran with a 35" on the stock carrier for 2 years with no issues. I did not have an spare tire spacer so I had to cut the rubber stoppers down to get it to fit (was running factory wheels).
but without the spacer I had to cut the rear bumper open like this \_____/ under the spare. You could not see the cut unless the rear gate was open. Drilled a couple holes for the water to drain out when it rained. Also opening it up made a great spot inside the bumper to hold tie downs straps or ???
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
I ran with a 35" on the stock carrier for 2 years with no issues. I did not have an spare tire spacer so I had to cut the rubber stoppers down to get it to fit (was running factory wheels).
but without the spacer I had to cut the rear bumper open like this \_____/ under the spare. You could not see the cut unless the rear gate was open. Drilled a couple holes for the water to drain out when it rained. Also opening it up made a great spot inside the bumper to hold tie downs straps or ???
I have a cut out in my stock bumper already, your saying that you need to make the cut out bigger?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Staytru06
I have a cut out in my stock bumper already, your saying that you need to make the cut out bigger?
Only if you don't buy the 2" spare tire spacer. I went to a local shop measured the opening on a body armor rear bumper. Went home taped it off and jigsawed it open. If you don't have the spacer and have stock rims with 35's you won't be able to get the lugs on the spare.

Quick Reply: Stock spare tire carrier questions