Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock Rubi 255s on 17"x9" Pro Comps

Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Rubi 255s on 17"x9" Pro Comps

I know the stock Rubi wheel is a 17x7.5 and the Pro Comp 8179 is a 17x9. If I put the stock 255s on the wider wheels would they be/look shorter and wider? I know tire rack says the max wheel size is 8.5"

I want 33s (really want 35s) but the wife says otherwise due to the tires I have being practically brand new...still looking for money saving ways to spice up the Jeep.

Last edited by loonies; 08-14-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some guys have done it, and you will probably be ok. It won't really effect the height so much. What it will effect is the overall wear across the tire, and if you are planning to do any offroading it will definitely effect the ability to hold a bead on the trail. Putting a skinny tire on a wider rim forces the sidewalls out and gives the tire a shape that was not intended. This can cause the shoulders of the tire to overheat when on the road. You can help it a little bit with tire pressures, but its still not ideal. When you are aired down offroad, you would be more at risk for wheel damage and losing a bead. You can help this by running higher air pressure, but then you obviously lose the advantages of being aired down.

Some other new wheel options for both keeping the stock Rubi tires and thinking ahead to 33's and/or 35's

The AEV Pintlers are a 17x8.5. They are expensive, but are a perfect fit for just about everything

Black Rock 997's or Crager Soft 8 Steel wheels in a 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing will also work well with everything from the stock 255 tires up through most 35" tires. Plus they are dirt cheap compared to most everything else in the world of aftermarket wheels.

I had this same dilemma because I had a set of Rubi tires sitting around, needed wheels, and also plan to move to 33's. I ended up going with the Black Rock 997's in the 17x8. I had them offroading yesterday for the first time at the Topless for Tatas's event and I have to say that I don't regret it at all.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
I had this same dilemma because I had a set of Rubi tires sitting around, needed wheels, and also plan to move to 33's. I ended up going with the Black Rock 997's in the 17x8. I had them offroading yesterday for the first time at the Topless for Tatas's event and I have to say that I don't regret it at all.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Fine, here ya go

Sitting in the Driveway

And yesterday at Rausch Creek

Last edited by OoPEZoO; 08-15-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock Rubi 255s on 17"x9" Pro Comps