Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock Rubi, 2.5 BB, spacer question

Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Rubi, 2.5 BB, spacer question

I have a Stock Rubi with a 2.5"BB, and have been reading up a bit on spacers.

Will wheel spacers essentially widen my stance and wheelbase (width-wise), and will they fit with the stock axles and wheels?

I've been reading in some places about it affecting sway bar disconnects, steering linkages, etc, but I wasn't sure if that was for the more extremely built jeeps.

I like the look of having a wider stance, so if this will do it, then I'll look into it some more.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good question

I've been wondering this myself. I don't have the suspension yet and am running the stock Rubi BFG Mud Terrains. I too like the wider look.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

You will be fine. Really no different than having wheels with different backspacing.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Yes.

All a spacer DOES is move the rim outboard....the exact same effect as simply using a rim with less backspacing.

So a stock tire will simply move outboard, EXACTLY the same way an after market tire would, etc.

You're just bolting the spacer to the hub (With loc-tite), and then bolting the rim to the spacer as if it were the hub.

If for example its a 1.5" spacer, it effectively spaces the rim outboard by 1.5", and so forth.

Adding a set of 1.5" spacers widens your stance by 3".

Enjoy!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4jlcc
You will be fine. Really no different than having wheels with different backspacing.
x2.
I have spacers and have had none of those issues. They bolt onto the hub and you bolt the wheel to the spacer. It shouldn't affect anything except your wheel spacing.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have spacers and used the lock tite and torque wrench to 85-90 lbs and have no probs on the road or the trails. i have spidertrax 1.25" aluminum hub centric.
the spacers made the tread of the rubicon tire flush with the wheel fenders.the sidewall is all that sticks out(just a little)
gave the jeep a much meaner looking stance. i dig it alot.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

3x on all the spacer info..
If you keep adding to your jeep. As in a heavy front bumper and winch. You'll find the front sags so much, that the bump stop on the front axel is about 1/2 inch away from bottoming out. At least, this is what happened to me. I had to go the 2.5 coil lift from TF. That solved the problem and I got a better ride out of the deal....
Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very interesting, thanks for the thoughts, guys, although I don't quite understand what the last poster is referring to regarding a sagging front end?

Are you saying that the spacers made it sag, or is it something unrelated?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by curtise
Very interesting, thanks for the thoughts, guys, although I don't quite understand what the last poster is referring to regarding a sagging front end?

Are you saying that the spacers made it sag, or is it something unrelated?
He's simply stating the the factory coils are more likely to sag with the addition of heavier metal bumpers and a winch. This is unrelated to the BB coil spacers but if you plan on making these upgrades eventually you may want to consider just going to 2.5" coils and skip the BB as they will hold up to the weight better than factory coils.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quick followup question - when it's all flexed up, will the tires rub with the fenders at that point? With the stock backspacing, they tuck up nicely, but not sure what it would do if it were sticking out another inch or two, would it rub, or clear?

Maybe some of you guys out there are running spacers with a 2.5"bb and know the answer?

Quick Reply: Stock Rubi, 2.5 BB, spacer question