Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock Rim Backspacing

Old 09-11-2018, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Rim Backspacing

I have an '18 JK Rubicon and was wondering if anyone knew what the backspacing is. I am wanting to get the Teraflex Tire Carrier but it says that you need after market wheels with a backspacing of 5" or less and I'm not quite ready for lift and tires yet as I would like to do both at the same time as I think it would look funny running 3" of lift with stock tires, so I know there is a way to measure it yourself but I can't right now as I'm not even in the same state as my JK and won't be back until the beginning of Nov.
Thx, if you know.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I don't know if anything has changed, but the standard backspace for factory rims has been 6.25". A few people in the last decade have mentioned that theirs were lower, but the thinking was that it was a dealer addition, not factory.

You can order a set of wheel spacers and bolt one to the carrier to make up the difference. (spidertrax, teraflex, synergy, etc. Lots of folks make them.) Maybe you can even find a single one somewhere, but I think they are usually sold in pairs.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I ran stock rims no problem on my 14,16 and 18 rubicons just get the adjustable carrier.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You can order a set of wheel spacers and bolt one to the carrier to make up the difference. (spidertrax, teraflex, synergy, etc. Lots of folks make them.) Maybe you can even find a single one somewhere, but I think they are usually sold in pairs.
+1.....for tire carrier purpose, you could get the cheapest eBay special even. I wouldn't put some cheap eBay spacer on the hubs, but for tire carrier purpose only it doesn't matter much.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx, for the info and I'll probably just see if it'll adjust to the factory rim first and if not then I'll search ebay for a cheap one to just hold it there sometimes it's annoying how little the owners manual actually tells you about the important stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Stock Rim Backspacing