Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

stock muffler REMOVED?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have mine removed and it sounds good. all i did was take 2 45* pipes and put it out the side. i like it and my brother inlaw had a flowmaster 50 series on it and he took it off to do the same thing i have. i don t care what anyone says it doesn t sound like a ricer. yeah when you get on it hard like 5000 rpm it is high pitched but nothing like a ricer. i ll never put a muffler on it, although i will be taking a glasspack, cutting it apart and taking the crap out of then installing that so it "looks legal"

with 4 cats in the front there is no way that taking the muffler off will affect back pressure that much.

i ll grab some pics tomorrow and show you how i did it.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by greasemonkey85
i have mine removed and it sounds good. all i did was take 2 45* pipes and put it out the side. i like it and my brother inlaw had a flowmaster 50 series on it and he took it off to do the same thing i have. i don t care what anyone says it doesn t sound like a ricer. yeah when you get on it hard like 5000 rpm it is high pitched but nothing like a ricer. i ll never put a muffler on it, although i will be taking a glasspack, cutting it apart and taking the crap out of then installing that so it "looks legal"

with 4 cats in the front there is no way that taking the muffler off will affect back pressure that much.

i ll grab some pics tomorrow and show you how i did it.
I'm with him...just did mine...should have done it along time ago...it doesn't sound like a ricer at all!...not too loud either...i've taken mufflers off a couple other vehicles and i would have paid them to just not have to hear it anymore....I was surprised at how good the JK's sound straight piped!...

...on a side note the interior noise is a little loud around 4000 RPM...but i havn't piped mine out yet...and that should fix it!

takes 10 min!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by davidwm71
I think he actually means REMOVED and not replaced with anything, just a pipe straight to the back.
X2.

I did this(just took it off) and ran with it for a few days and then put it back on. I could definetly tell the power loss with it back on. I ended up removing it and do a Maganflow relocate.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just removed mine and left the rest alone. The rubber hangers are hard to get off but some lubricant and tugging with LARGE vice grips slid it right off. Had to use my feet at one point. I just started it up to move it in the gargage. I will get some sound clips later this week along with some pics. I have the woods evap relocation kit too so there is tons of room for a better muffler tucked away between the frame, gastank, and behind the transfer case. I love this stuff.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had mine removed for a little while. Though I liked the new sound, I also saw a major decrease in mpg's.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just reinstalled it because my MPG dropped, probably me getting on the go pedal because I liked the low sound it made. The problem is with the higher revs over 3500 it sounded like my 4 cylinder cavalier I used to own. The sound is not that great overall and kind of got irritaing.

I now dont recommend wasting the 10 minutes it takes to remove and reinstall. I had it reinstalled in literally 3 minutes. There is one bolt and two hangers. So if you would like its worth a try to see if you like it.

I was happy to hear silence when I started my Jeep after the muffler was reinstalled.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

i took mine off for about a week. at idel it sounds bad ass put ricy up top. i had a 12in glass pack welded in for 50 bucks and now it just sounds bad ass.
as far as back pressure we could start a new thread on this.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:41 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Revival

I removed mine to install a 4x14 Magnaflow.

The Magnaflow is not much, if any, quieter than no muffler at all but it does smooth out the sound a bit.

It's deceptively quiet at idle and get loud at 2500rpm+ which is unfortunately where I cruise at 70mph so after my commute tomorrow I'll be able to comment and decide if I like it.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Got a magnaflow on this weekend for $110 installed. Sounds good when you put your foot in it, but with gas prices spiking these past couple of weeks, been reluctant to do it too much.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had mine off for a couple of months now and I love it!! I haven't piped it out or anything yet but I might one day and I gained about 1mpg by taking it off. It sounds kinda high compared to some of the rednecks with there huge trucks around here but it sounds great for a minivan engine.

Quick Reply: stock muffler REMOVED?