Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock/Modifications to my jeep?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stock/Modifications to my jeep?

Hello, I have a couple of questions regarding tires/rims. I have a JK 2DR wrangler, I'm looking to put on a specific tire/rims. I wanted a 16" rim called american racing pythons (chrome) paired with BF Goodrich mud terrains size 265/75R16. I was told by Town Fair tire that american racing is not able to do this tire with rim because of width, and the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern? They only have one tire which i don't like. Can anyone tell me what kind of rim I can put on a stock X with this size tire?
ALso, my other option I am looking to possibsly get is a Tereflex BB. I would like to get a rim to match the Nitto Mud Grappler? I just need some assistance. I am not getting much help/answers in my local western, MA area. Any kind of assistance/help would be greatly appreciated as I am a first and new Jeep owner. thanks
Old 07-13-2007, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by synchromeg
Hello, I have a couple of questions regarding tires/rims. I have a JK 2DR wrangler, I'm looking to put on a specific tire/rims. I wanted a 16" rim called american racing pythons (chrome) paired with BF Goodrich mud terrains size 265/75R16. I was told by Town Fair tire that american racing is not able to do this tire with rim because of width, and the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern? They only have one tire which i don't like. Can anyone tell me what kind of rim I can put on a stock X with this size tire?
ALso, my other option I am looking to possibsly get is a Tereflex BB. I would like to get a rim to match the Nitto Mud Grappler? I just need some assistance. I am not getting much help/answers in my local western, MA area. Any kind of assistance/help would be greatly appreciated as I am a first and new Jeep owner. thanks
Did they tell you why they couldn't do the tire you wanted? My guess is it has to do with the width of the rim and the tire and that American Racing doesn't recommend going that wide on the tire. Looks like the size tire is about the same as a rubicon tire. Yours comes out to 10.43" wide, ~32" tall. Not sure how wide of rim you're talking but that tire should be fine on any rim you're probably looking at.

Now on to the bolt pattern, that can certainly be an issue. If the rim you want doesn't come in a 5x5 bp, then you'd need to go with an adapter that does a 5x5 to a 5x5.5... some people like adapters some people don't.

About the only other thing you need to be aware of is the back spacing of the rim. with 10.5" wide tire, it's certainly less of an issue than a wider tire... But if you're going w/adapters, your back spacing will most likely be OK anyway. Otherwise, you'll probalby want to stay in the 4"-4.75" BS arena.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down offset

well, I guess the issue they said was the offset of the american racing python rims I wanted. They said it would stick out too much? or something along that line. the offset was 12mm or something. I don't know too much, but i really would like to know if its possible to put these on my 2007 2dr wrangler X. I'm starting to think i should just get the tereflex BB and 33's.???
Old 07-15-2007, 02:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go to one of the online Jeep shops (www.4wd.com or www.quadratec.com, etc) and shop for rims with the 5x5 bolt pattern and find something you like that will fit your application. Generally, any of these will have the backspacing you want and the rim width you want. Also, the tire section of some of these sites (www.summitracing.com) will give you in-depth info on appropriate rim widths for the various tires.

I would think you could run a 265/75/16 on any wheel that was NARROW enough (stock rim, 8" rim) and fit a JK (5x5 bp). Afterall, it's only a 32"x10.5" (in that area). It think 7-8" would be good for most applications in 265/75/16.

Now... if you're spending the cash on new wheels and tires, why are you only doing 32's? I'd get the budget boost and 33's.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Smile Teraflex BB

Thanks for all your help... actually, I'm starting to think that if i'm spending the money on wheels and tires I will go ahead and do the Teraflex Budget Boost. However, I'm so set on these rims I want (american racing Pythons). I'm so picky that I want to make it work. I really think if I go find a mechanic or a person who knows a lot about jeeps and have them give me a lift and with my wheels and tires I could probably do it. I'm so frustrated, its hard for me to get answers from people in my area, at least that is what i'm experiencing. I'm also considering getting the teraflex 3" lift with 33's. what do you'll think?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

The Teraflex 3" w/33's would look and function nicely. You could even go to 35's if you wanted to... or wait till later to do the 35's. I think you're heading down the right path thinking of going on and doing the 3" lift and 33's... of course it's all personal preference.

Quick Reply: Stock/Modifications to my jeep?