Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock lug wrench doesn't fit lugs on new rims

Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Stock lug wrench doesn't fit lugs on new rims

So having purchased my jeep I haven't really thought about changing the tire. I've got a hi-lift jack which I've never used before and thankfully haven't had the need. Well, I now know the use of the jack.

Anyhow, the real issue came around when trying to check the lugs to make sure they were tight. So unknowingly I grabbed the [stock] lug wrench and figured out that it will not fit into the hole for which the lugs sit In other words the diameter of tool is much wider than the diameter of the hole the lug is set into.

So my question is do I need to get a custom lug wrench or what?

Maybe something like the "Gorilla Lug Wrench Kit Gorilla Power Wrench"?

Last edited by hneiper; 10-28-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go buy a socket and breaker bar maybe small extension too.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jae Suite
Thanks. I didn't even know what a breaker bar was till now.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK, so you got aftermarket wheels and lugs? Are they a standard lug or spline? If they are procomp or gorilla, they should have given you a new lug key (socket that fits your new lugs). Than you can buy a folding breakerbar that will have 4 sizes in it. keep that in the jeep in the rear compartment. you should be set.

post a pic of your new lugs and we can tell you exactly what you need. or go back to where you got the wheels from and ask them to help you out.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TAIL RATED
OK, so you got aftermarket wheels and lugs? Are they a standard lug or spline? If they are procomp or gorilla, they should have given you a new lug key (socket that fits your new lugs). Than you can buy a folding breakerbar that will have 4 sizes in it. keep that in the jeep in the rear compartment. you should be set.

post a pic of your new lugs and we can tell you exactly what you need. or go back to where you got the wheels from and ask them to help you out.
They were already on the jeep when i bought it. So just going to get the thin wall socket and breaker or go with gorilla.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

I had the same problem on my old jeep... I just bought a breaker bar and a socket and it worked out just fine.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree with the socket and breaker bar. I have a breaker bar and impact socket in a case from a large torque wrench and keep it under the seat. Nobody even knows it's there.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I bought a special thin wall impact socket from Snap-On. It's a 19 and 21mm socket in 1. So I can do tracbar adjustment and swap my tires with 1 socket. My problem is that my wheels are so deep that getting the stock lug wrench in there is impossible. 3.6" of backspacing on a 10" wheel doesn't work well with the stock lug wrench.
I will have to look for that socket - great idea! Just picked up regular 19mm socket and breaker bar but needed an extension too so I can avoid scratching the wheels.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jae Suite
I also had this rude awakening, fortunately not on the trail. Just get yourself a set of sockets, extension, breaker bar and keep it along with some other tools. If you have locking lugs, make sure you have a socket for those too, my of course were different!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Lowe's has a good selection of single deep sockets and beaker bars.

I use the torque wrench rated sockets - don't want to deal with cheap sockets on the trail

Quick Reply: Stock lug wrench doesn't fit lugs on new rims