Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

stock jk with 37's

Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
Doing what? Driving to the mall?

Come on.
hahahah,, that made me laugh
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

So... now that we all came to conclusion that im okay with running 37's and a dana 30 for just pavement till i get everything else, would i be able to run just a 1.25 bl with the 37's with stock front/rear bumpers and flares.

1st set-up

1.25BL stock flares and front/rear bumpers with 37's

2nd set-up

1.25BL cut stock flares and stubby front/rear bumper with 37's

out of 1st and 2nd. which one would work? thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

You will need more than the body lift to clear the 37's, and also you will want to at minimum install gussets up front, even for only driving on the street
Old 11-18-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
Don't listen to the hype. You will be fine running most 37s on a reinforced D30 off road and on. When people say that a D30 can't handle it, they are referring to hardcore component smashing rock crawling. If you do moderate trails and rocks like 90% of the folks on here, you will be just fine with a D30 and 37s. It's not as weak as people would lead you to believe. Of the thousands out there running 37s on a D30 you find VERY few stories of axle damage. Those that do are wheeling either too aggressively or just smashing into rocks without taking the time to pick their lines.

Don't forget, the folks on here are the most hardcore and elite of JKers, so take the advice given with a big grain of salt.

This is coming from a guy who wheels his D30 with 37s pretty darn hard also with stock gearing and have had ZERO issues
sorry but i have to strongly disagree.this is not hype but fact.we own 2 jks,one 2 door on 35s and my fully custom built 2wd conversion unlimited on 37s.i built both rigs myself and wheel the crap out of both of them practically every other week.i have had every piece of d30s 44s and 60s in my hands,i have also seen a lot of breakage,even on less difficult stuff,i have seen 44s break on 33s,for starters,the steering is far from strong enough even for street use and its only a matter of time before your sector shaft shears or box breaks all together,dont believe me,look under your rig and have someone turn your steering wheel back and forth and watch your steering box flex.the ball joints on jks internals are made of plastic,they go out extremely fast.most people have wheel shimmy problems even stock not ever knowing its there ball joints until its too late and they come apart.i have seen the front axle housing actually break in half and even if you could get shafts that could handle them your u joints are still way too weak and even if they could take the stress then your ring gear would go,in the rear your tubes will bend over time and your shafts flanges will bend extremely easy. unfortunatly jeep made the fender wells to where you can fit large tires with ease but did not engineer any part of the drive train to handle the stress imposed by those tires
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nvertflyer
sorry but i have to strongly disagree.this is not hype but fact.we own 2 jks,one 2 door on 35s and my fully custom built 2wd conversion unlimited on 37s.i built both rigs myself and wheel the crap out of both of them practically every other week.
You are missing a couple points:

1) The Jeep will be driven on pavement only.

2) Hardcore wheelers may run into problems with a D30 and 37's. Those were estimated to be 10% out of entire Jeep population.

I don't think your experiences fall into the 2 above.

Moreover, if you wheel hard enough or simply go crazy, you can break anything, D30, D44, D60, and so on. But does it mean everyone now needs to run and get a PR44/60? Not at all. Especially for street.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

I think we should all get together a bake cookies
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

You are missing a couple points:

1) The Jeep will be driven on pavement only.

2) Hardcore wheelers may run into problems with a D30 and 37's. Those were estimated to be 10% out of entire Jeep population.

I don't think your experiences fall into the 2 above.

Moreover, if you wheel hard enough or simply go crazy, you can break anything, D30, D44, D60, and so on. But does it mean everyone now needs to run and get a PR44/60? Not at all. Especially for street.
I also think your missing something, he is going to run a recentered humvee rim and tire, this setup weights over 65lbs more than a stock rubi setup and up to 75 more than a sport. The extra rotating mass is the problem not the trail, stock parts on the front end are not ment for that kind of unsprung weight
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight_Pollard706
I think we should all get together a bake cookies
How about i make cookies and you guys donate some money for some prorock 80's for my dd so i can go to the mall!(:
Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by swaite3
I also think your missing something, he is going to run a recentered humvee rim and tire, this setup weights over 65lbs more than a stock rubi setup and up to 75 more than a sport. The extra rotating mass is the problem not the trail, stock parts on the front end are not ment for that kind of unsprung weight
I'm talking merely about the D30, not steering. I would like to see some evidence that suggests D30 cannot take 37's on street (be it humvee rims/tires). So far it's nothing more but rumors and tales. On the other hand, there is enough evidence to suggest that it will work just fine on street, and even for ~90% of wheeling.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

I'm talking merely about the D30, not steering. I would like to see some evidence that suggests D30 cannot take 37's on street (be it humvee rims/tires). So far it's nothing more but rumors and tales. On the other hand, there is enough evidence to suggest that it will work just fine on street, and even for ~90% of wheeling.

Your jeep, do it. I'm not against trying I used to run 35x10.50 bias ply swampers on a sprung over yj with stock d35/d30's I even locked the 35 with a lunchbox locker after I granaded the spider gears on the trail. I spent more time replacing ujoints and bearings than I would like to admit but I had a shoe string budget so that's what I did. I think what saved my shafts was my woefully under geared axles (3.08 )paired with 5speed and carb'd i6 that pumped out maybe 140 hp.
You are running 4.88 gears that are already small on the d30 the new tire combo is going to put a lot of stress on the pinion and ball joints

Like I said run what you have but I think you would be better served selling your 30 while it's still worth something ( before its destroyed) and build something stronger

Last edited by swaite3; 11-18-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: stock jk with 37's