Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock Hood Mod Ideas

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Hood Mod Ideas

Well I don't have the 800 to spend on the AEV Heat Reduction Hood so I was thinking about doing this type of mod on my stock hood. I'm looking to pick the brains of some of like minded people on this site. Questions are - After cutting my hood what type of anti-rust paint/primer will I have to use? Does having a CAI (Brute Force Dry Air Intake) mean that I will have to cover the vent holes cut with some material that allows air to flow in/out freely but stops water from getting into my engine compartment? An if so, what material would be suitable for that? I noticed on the AEV Hood its uses mesh inserts which certainly doesn't stop water, or does it have something else to it that does?
Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Nothing? Would like to get this going by Saturday morn.....Some1 has to have some insight. Who wouldn't want to give insight on choppin a perfectly good JK stock hood?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

When you do find out any info please let us know, and Pics are a must.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Heat reduction hood louvers
Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

No cheap material will allow air flow without allowing water flow. Effectively, no materials at all will, but you could have a hydrophobic nanopore that theoretically would work.
CAI means don't get near water. More water will come up from under your hood than down from holes in the top.

Louvers all the way.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make a true ram air hood like the Trans Am used to have... Somehow incorporate a CAI w/ a short snorkel, coming up right out of the hood.. You could have the best of both worlds!! That would look sick, and I'm sure the performance would be amazing!! AND, if anyone makes millions off of this idea, just payoff my JK, and I will be exteremely grateful!!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
Ahh the old heat reduction louvers...an to think I was just going to cut away an fabricate something myself. I ordered these today an will follow the write-up. Thanks for the post, now that I remember buying a used CJ with louvers, they were done awfully bad so I will make sure I get them right. I'll post pics when finished.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
No cheap material will allow air flow without allowing water flow. Effectively, no materials at all will, but you could have a hydrophobic nanopore that theoretically would work.
CAI means don't get near water. More water will come up from under your hood than down from holes in the top.

Louvers all the way.
Not true. Materials like this are very poular with the snowmobile crowd www.frogzskin.com of course there are other vendors as well.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrote on my hood chop here : https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=hood+scoop Might give you some ideas.....?

Quick Reply: Stock Hood Mod Ideas