Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock Gears, I have 35's and would like to get my gearing back to stock ratio...

Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Gears, I have 35's and would like to get my gearing back to stock ratio...

I have a 2007 JK unlimited, 6inch lift and 35 dunlop MTs. I am currently running stock gears. What ring and pinion would I put in to get my gearing back to stock. And while I have my chunk pulled apart does anyone have recomendations on Lockers?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Corona Doug
You have an Automatic so I would run 5.13

Then Superchip it... that will correct your shift points and your speedo
HEY thanks!! I have a superchip currently with a cold air intake.... that alone made a huge difference in performance. any idea on Lockers?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are some faq's stickied to the top of this modified area. Look at the rpm charts in the Drivetrain section. Use 34" for the tire height, and see what you come up with.

As noted above, 5.13's are very popular for auto's on 35's, and that would be my recommendation also.

For the lockers, start with:
What is your budget?
You have a front D30, are you confident enough in its strength to lock it?
Do you want selectables or auto's? Or would a good limited work for your needs?
If you want an auto, do you spend any time on ice/snow? Or is it all nevada desert?
If you want a selectable, do you care about the activation method? Air, electric, cable?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Default Nthinuf, thanks.... looking for the charts now. and thanks for the list of questions.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
There are some faq's stickied to the top of this modified area. Look at the rpm charts in the Drivetrain section. Use 34" for the tire height, and see what you come up with.

As noted above, 5.13's are very popular for auto's on 35's, and that would be my recommendation also.

For the lockers, start with:
What is your budget?
You have a front D30, are you confident enough in its strength to lock it?
Do you want selectables or auto's? Or would a good limited work for your needs?
If you want an auto, do you spend any time on ice/snow? Or is it all nevada desert?
If you want a selectable, do you care about the activation method? Air, electric, cable?
I have D30 front (stock I believe) and the D44 rear. would putting a locker on the rear be better than nothing... what is your thought on the electronic traction system that is on the jeep.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by rotdog
I have D30 front (stock I believe) and the D44 rear. would putting a locker on the rear be better than nothing... what is your thought on the electronic traction system that is on the jeep.
The electronic system is decent, and depending on how and where you drive, may be all you will ever need. But don't confuse it with the traction that limiteds/lockers will provide.

My personal opinion is that the d30's are weak, and I would not spend a grand putting a selectable locker in one. If you trust the strength of it and want a traction device up there, go for an Aussie if you don't drive on snow/ice, or a TrueTrac if you do. (or an eaton elocker or arb air locker if you want a selectable)

For the rear, just depends. I would suggest an ARB if you want a selectable, a detroit if you want an auto. Or if you want to keep the costs down, another TrueTrac.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

i know there are a lot of factors, but for the 5.13s what brand and where to buy? how much am i going to expect to see for parts or a kit and possibly install prices?
thanks!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by speedy64vw
i know there are a lot of factors, but for the 5.13s what brand and where to buy? how much am i going to expect to see for parts or a kit and possibly install prices?
thanks!
The only US Made gears for the JK are 4.88's, and only for D44's. All others are still produced overseas and re-boxed. Compare prices and warranties and get whichever you like. Though Yukon probably has the best rep.

Try 4WD (bustabizz) and Northridge (Dave), they are both vendors so you can PM here. Or just go to their websites. 4wd sometimes has gear specials with free diff covers, and northridge generally has the best prices.

Quick Reply: Stock Gears, I have 35's and would like to get my gearing back to stock ratio...