Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

stock front driveshaft

Old 12-16-2008, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock front driveshaft

will the stock front driveshaft on a 2008 2 door rubicon work with a 4" lift?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

briefly.

MODIFIED TECH FAQ - Answers to the Questions Every Newbie Has

--> AXLES, GEARS & DRIVETRAIN

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Auto, I am putting on a 3" Teraflex coil lift, as soon as I get new shafts. I'm not putting it on until then as I want to do it all at once.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fronts started leaking at the transfer case within 3 weeks of my 3 inch lift. I now have the JE Reel OE Replacement shafts. That way I can always switch back to the stock ones.

Quick Reply: stock front driveshaft