Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Are stock front bumper bolts re-useable?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are stock front bumper bolts re-useable?

I finally bought a four foot piece of 2x6 C channel to copy 2K1TJ's bumper (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/my-home-fabbed-bumper-winch-mount-20063/).

Question:
Is the stock bumper mounted with removeable bolts, or are they just pressed in studs that I can't re-use on the new bumper?

I need to know if I have to go bolt shopping or not.
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

They may be better then that. I just replaced my stock bumper and just looked at it on the garage floor. It appears that all four on one side are part of a square steel piece. I did not peel back the bumper plastic covering but looking at it from behind when I played with one bolt all 4 moved and floated. If you cut off the plastic covering you may have a stock steel piece with four bolts that is reusable.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

nice improvement looks strong, would look better with some mud or a bit of tree bark smashed in to it.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default reusable?

I cant remember exactly which bolts i pulled out of the front but if you buy the factory tow hooks for the front they have the bolts you need in them. I bought a custom front bumper from RoundStar Offroad and used the tow hooks to mount it. But I dont see any reason the factory bolts can not be re-used. It has been more than a year and half now, but i know the front plastic cover comes very, very easily. All four bolts are on one plate. Just pull the plate out ,bumper will fall,place new bumper on, replace plate,and bolt on. Only downfall is the square plate with 4 bolts that you can see on the ront of the bumper. I would just buy the tow hooks and call it a day, think it looks a little cleaner.
http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.php?photo=25139
http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.php?photo=25140

07 JK Unlimited
3 inch BDS Susp. Lift
Brake line relocation brackets
JKS Quicker Disconnects
33x11.5x16
Oil pan/ Transmission skid plate by Skid Row
Mopar off Road rear bumper
Warrior Products rear tube doors
Custom Front Bumper by RoundStar OffRoad
coming soon..Custom Front Tube Doors by...You Guessed it RoundStar OffRoad
And we are on our second set of fender flares....those break away flares are great!!!!!

Last edited by 0311sgt; 06-21-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I wanted to eventually get d-ring mounts, or just use bolts and have the d-ring mounts welded on.
Does anyone know exactly what size bolts/nuts I'd have to buy if I didn't go for the Mopar tow hooks?

Quick Reply: Are stock front bumper bolts re-useable?