Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock or Drop Pitman Arm

Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
If you removed the track bar drop bracket you probably need to go back to the stock pitman arm. Did you try driving it with the track bar drop bracket and the longer pitman arm? My guess would be that it would drive better that way. But that would be just a guess. Have you measured the angles? Have any pics?
i purchased to pro comp adjustable trackbar for what they say 3" - 4" of lift but its screwed all the way in without the drop bracket, so i dont think it will work with the bracket because it would have to adjust in farther. i havent measured the angles, but just looking at it i can tell the drag link is down farther. No pics, im gonna can the pitman arm and see if that helps if not ill post some pics
Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the basics first, every joint can't have any play and then check castor, toe and camber. don't use stock castor go higher like 6-8 degrees.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
do the basics first, every joint can't have any play and then check castor, toe and camber. don't use stock camber go higher like 6-8 degrees.
ive checked everything, its been aligned. My caster is currently set to factory specs im gonna change that soon.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

your caster angle needs to be adjusted based on the size of the tire you are running. what really matters is the distance from the contact patch of the tire to the line formed by the angle of the axle C intersects the road. the angle is simply a easy way to measure that. figure the distance for stock size tires and use the ratios to determine what that distance should be for your larger tires. then backward figure the "new" caster"angle to use.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the advise and help, I just reinstalled my stock pitman arm and it drives better than factory. No more wander or bump steer Thanks all for the help!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nsrailroader07
I have recently bought a 4" Rough Country Lift for my 4dr Wrangler. I also bought Adjustable trackbars for front and rear and removed the trackbar drop brackets, do i need to put my stock pitman arm back on or leave the drop one installed? What i have is a whole lot of steering wander and minimal bump steer. Is there any other suggestions to cure my wandering problem?

Thanks
If you experience bumpsteer reinstall the drop pitman and replace the adjustable track bar with the stock one while keeping the track bar bracket should help. I believe this is how the kit was originally designed.

Unless the adjustable TB is designed to work with the bracket it can alter the geometry and cause interference.

I couldn't find any 4" RC lift kits (like the 6" lift)that come with both the front and rear adjustable trackbars but they do come with both trackbar brackets. And one of them comes with only an adjustable rear TB and the bracket.

Did you buy the front adjustable TB separately?

Quick Reply: Stock or Drop Pitman Arm