Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

stock driveshafts on a 4.5" RE lift

Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock driveshafts on a 4.5" RE lift

OK, so I'm confused on driveshaft necessities. Can someone help me to understand?

I've had an OME HD coil lift with stock driveshafts for a year and a half with no issues. I recently installed 4.5" RE coils on my 2dr and still have my stock driveshafts with no vibes for a few weeks now. After installing the 4.5" lift, I angled my rear pinion to get ready for a CV driveshaft and moved the axle back an inch. still no vibes or issues so I figured maybe it was fine and I didn't need a CV. the joints don't seem to be pinched as much as they were on the 3" lift and before I angled the pinion. all seems well even up to 80mph. Am I stretching the stock driveshaft to the point where not enough of the splines are engaged? Am I doing any damage to my driveshaft by having it set up for a CV driveshaft? the rubber boots are still intact. Haven't taken it wheeling or flexed it heavily yet though.

why do I need new driveshafts? Am I doing damage I am not aware of?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

bump. anyone?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

internals are under stress... it will work and won't damage until you flex... then you will HEAR it... kind of like a damaged CV joint. you dont want failure inthe middle of nowhere... get new driveshafts!!! my 2 cents...
Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK in MX
internals are under stress... it will work and won't damage until you flex... then you will HEAR it... kind of like a damaged CV joint. you dont want failure inthe middle of nowhere... get new driveshafts!!! my 2 cents...
I believe ya... I just want to understand for my own good. what do you mean by internals? stress in the joints behind the rubber boots?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The steeper angles cause the joints/boots to be 'pinched', which will wear through the boots causing the loss of grease, the joint will dry out, start making noise, and then seize. On 2doors, the rear shaft is short, so even though you have tilted the pinion up, the joint at the tcase is still at a pretty good angle. Add in some off-road flexing to the 4.5 inches of lift, and you have a joint that should not be expected to last. (lots of variables, but people are losing them with as little as 2.5")
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The steeper angles cause the joints/boots to be 'pinched', which will wear through the boots causing the loss of grease, the joint will dry out, start making noise, and then seize. On 2doors, the rear shaft is short, so even though you have tilted the pinion up, the joint at the tcase is still at a pretty good angle. Add in some off-road flexing to the 4.5 inches of lift, and you have a joint that should not be expected to last. (lots of variables, but people are losing them with as little as 2.5")
That's what I've read. I guess I'm just surprised that my boot has never torn and I've had no issues after wheeling it pretty hard for a while.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It's not a myth, there are plenty of pics and posts here to back it up. I lost my front shaft at the tcase with around 3.25". And as noted above, others have lost theirs with 2.5".

Then there are the lucky folks like you that have taller lifts and no issues. It just ain't fair...

Quick Reply: stock driveshafts on a 4.5" RE lift