Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock driveshaft boot

Old 08-29-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock driveshaft boot

I run an 08 unlimited rubicon, auto, 2 1/2 teraflex, ome lift.
Yesterday, I ripped the boot on the front driveshaft in half, it rubbed on the tranny, I had the swaybars disconnected, which I don't usually do just for the reason of ripping it
Anyhow,,,,, I intend to have it repaired ( not under warranty), I have no intention of changing out the driveshaft in the future to rid me of this problem, but will just stay connected.
So,,, question, is it a matter of dropping the driveshaft at the axle end, pulling it apart and replacing the boot, or will the driveshaft have to be removed..... I have the rockhard skids which are kind of in the way, but should be enough room to to drop front of the shaft,,,
Anyone with some input before I hit the dealership?
( I know it's something I could do myself, but less tinkering, less warranty issues),,,,,,
Dave
Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

Usually the dealership will replace the entire drive shaft.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the boot is not a replaceable part. having said that, it's not that big of a deal not having it on. you should be fine for quite some time or, at least until you can afford to replace it with a new aftermarket shaft.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
the boot is not a replaceable part. having said that, it's not that big of a deal not having it on. you should be fine for quite some time or, at least until you can afford to replace it with a new aftermarket shaft.

Ok thanks , ,would you recommend lightly greasing it regularly? I'm up north, winter, salted roads and all that good stuff , guess it can't hurt....
Old 08-29-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

wait, so you're running 2.5" terra flex spacers on top of you ome lift? That is close to 5.5" to 6" of lift on stock driveshafts.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thom1879
wait, so you're running 2.5" terra flex spacers on top of you ome lift? That is close to 5.5" to 6" of lift on stock driveshafts.

No,no, lol,,, I have the OME HD coils, the rest of the parts are from the teraflex 2.5 ( there was a mix up when I bought it, they were out of stock on the TF coils, so they swapped them out with the OME HD coils,,,, I have the 2.5" lift, , actual, 3" of lift
Old 08-29-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Since replacing the drive shaft is not time critical as WOL said, you could keep an eye on the For Sale section. You might be able pick up a take-off in good condition that someone has laying around for a reasonable amount of money.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 20jk08
No,no, lol,,, I have the OME HD coils, the rest of the parts are from the teraflex 2.5 ( there was a mix up when I bought it, they were out of stock on the TF coils, so they swapped them out with the OME HD coils,,,, I have the 2.5" lift, , actual, 3" of lift
haha, i was about to say you're shooting the lights and cussing the dark if you had that much lift
Old 08-29-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re:

Thanks for replying gents, I'll play it by ear since it's no biggy,,
Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

I've seen a couple of stock front drive safts go for less ten 80 bucks... keep your eyes open! watch e-bay... even check out the sale section in this forum...

Quick Reply: Stock driveshaft boot