Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Still having death wobble issues.... Help

Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still having death wobble issues.... Help

I have an 08 Rubicon Unlimited with a 4" skyjacker and 37's about 200 miles ago I went over some rail road tracks and experienced death wobble, so I come to a stop and drive off and everything seemed fine. A couple days later I hit those same rail road tracks and it happens again only much worse then it starts doing it even on smaller bumps ( man holes ect ). I take it to a local shop and the replace the lower control arms with adjustable ones, re-balance all the tires, replace the upper and lower ball joints, and have it re-aligned.... I drive it and get about 5 miles from home and go over a different set of rail road tracks and guess what death wobble.... I never had a problem with this in the past so what parts would you guys recommend I check now ?

Also the track bar has a relocation bracket so the hole is not ovaled out
Old 09-25-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

I would suggest taking the trackbar relocation bracket and extended pitman arm (if thats included in the skyjacker kit) off and install a heavy duty adjustable trackbar like the JKS or tera trackbars. The factory trackbar is a lot more flexable than these. I would guess that the added leverage caused by the trackbar relocation bracket combined with 37's is causing the perfect storm for DW. Either your trackbar bolts are sliding back and forth under the load, or your trackbar itself is flexing like crazy when you hit a bump.

I had the same problem with my trackbar relocation bracket that came with my Fabtech 3" kit and 35's. Now that I put on an adjustable hd trackbar, no more DW. I don't even tighten my grip on the wheel when I'm approaching a bump anymore .

Hope that helps ya.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Curiosity
I would suggest taking the trackbar relocation bracket and extended pitman arm (if thats included in the skyjacker kit) off and install a heavy duty adjustable trackbar like the JKS or tera trackbars. The factory trackbar is a lot more flexable than these. I would guess that the added leverage caused by the trackbar relocation bracket combined with 37's is causing the perfect storm for DW. Either your trackbar bolts are sliding back and forth under the load, or your trackbar itself is flexing like crazy when you hit a bump.

I had the same problem with my trackbar relocation bracket that came with my Fabtech 3" kit and 35's. Now that I put on an adjustable hd trackbar, no more DW. I don't even tighten my grip on the wheel when I'm approaching a bump anymore .

Hope that helps ya.
This is what I was thinking too... Which one did you buy ?
Old 09-25-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

There are so many thing than can cause it. Did you check the caster?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bwest99svt
I got the new style JKS hd adjustable front trackbar from Dave @ northridge and am very happy with it. I have a friend w/ a teraflex front trackbar and it seems to be pretty stout as well. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.. only reason I ended up w/ the JKS is b/c it was less expensive at the time I was ordering.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Curiosity
I got the new style JKS hd adjustable front trackbar from Dave @ northridge and am very happy with it. I have a friend w/ a teraflex front trackbar and it seems to be pretty stout as well. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.. only reason I ended up w/ the JKS is b/c it was less expensive at the time I was ordering.
+1 for the JKS track bars. I installed a front and rear when I did my 3" lift and was very happy with the quality. I'm sure the Teraflex ones are very nice as well, but I was able to get the JKS for a little less.

I hope you get it figured out!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdubb75
+1 for the JKS track bars. I installed a front and rear when I did my 3" lift and was very happy with the quality. I'm sure the Teraflex ones are very nice as well, but I was able to get the JKS for a little less.

I hope you get it figured out!
Im going to order a new one today... Did you get everything installed last weekend ?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is this the track bar you guys are talking about ?

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=JKS-OGS121

Is there any tricks to installing a new track bar or is it something a shop should do ?

Im no mechanic but I can mess with small stuff

I should also mention that I never had DW until after I replaced the shocks, I dont know if that would matter though

Last edited by Bwest99svt; 09-26-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the track bar you guys are talking about ?

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=JKS-OGS121

Is there any tricks to installing a new track bar or is it something a shop should do ?

Im no mechanic but I can mess with small stuff

I should also mention that I never had DW until after I replaced the shocks, I dont know if that would matter though
yeah, that is the trackbar.

you can do it yourself, but you'll need the tools. when I do my trackbar, i put my frame on jack stands, choke the rear wheels, use two hydraulic jacks, droop the axle, depending on if I need to lengthen it or shorten my track bar, I jack up one side higher at a time.

take's about half hour from uninstalling the new one and adjusting the length.

you just want to make sure you undo the bolts from the trackbar relocation on the floor. and same thing goes for when you install your new JKS trackbar. get the holes to line up, put the bolt through, tighten it on the floor.

make sure none of the holes are moving around with the bolt going through both sides.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
y

I jack up one side higher at a time.
Why don't you put the jack under the diff.? It's faster

Quick Reply: Still having death wobble issues.... Help