Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Still have the start-up knock

Old 07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the FL400s is HUGE! no one has had issues with it being longer than the "standard" filters, with rubbing on components or too much media and needing extra oil?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Well if the Mobil 1 fails the test, the FL400S it will be!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paramaniac
Well if the Mobil 1 fails the test, the FL400S it will be!
And you find them everywhere - Wally World, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc. - for less than $5 !!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
There is a thread on this a ways back. Some oil filters will allow a flow of oil back into the pan while others such as the OEM will hold oil in the system.
Mine does it with the OEM filters and every other one i've tried. I haven't tried the Motorcraft one yet. I'm not really worried about it right now because it doesn't do it during warm weather. I only think about it when it does it.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

My start-up knock stopped about 20,000 miles ago when I switch to the FL400S Ford filter. As for as it being too big, no hitting anything whatsoever. It's a normal size filter. The jk filters are small. I still put the same amount of oil in , no extra.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Try the purolator pure one (pn PL20195) I think, but they make these filters with a silicone antidrain back valve. I have used several filters on my Jeep when I first got it and had the same issue until I switched to this filter. It's not the factory size it's a bit longer(which gives more filter surface area), but I have been running it now for over 30,000 miles and it has been great. i am also running a filter mag on it to catch all the metal I can. JOE>
Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bcrouse
This does not sound like the same oil clacky issues. It should be worse in warm weather due to the oil being more fluidic (is that a word?). Because of this, the oil will have a higher tendency to flow back down though the filter andinto the oil pan.

You might have another issue if its good in warm and bad in cold? Perhaps your oil is too think? Are you using the standard 5w20?

-Ben
Maybe. It sounds like a dry start for the first few seconds and then it goes away. I'm actually running Mobile 1 5-30 in it this oil change (because I had some I needed to use up) but I've always ran the OEM spec 5-20 in it.
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
Try the purolator pure one (pn PL20195) I think, but they make these filters with a silicone antidrain back valve. I have used several filters on my Jeep when I first got it and had the same issue until I switched to this filter. It's not the factory size it's a bit longer(which gives more filter surface area), but I have been running it now for over 30,000 miles and it has been great. i am also running a filter mag on it to catch all the metal I can. JOE>
Great filter, but it didn't help for me.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Since my work shift is 12 hours, thats plenty of time for the oil to potentially drain out of the filter due to a faulty or shitty ADBV. i put the Mobil 1 filter in on the 8th. yesterday morning and again after work... knocking. WTF? i put 89 octane gas in wednesday night from a Sunoco, i really dont think its the gas.

I had no issues with the first Royal Purple filter i used, the last one was noisy as hell but it took about 2 months and i drove 2000 miles on my vacation.

Im going to be switching to the FL400S.

one last thing... could it be because i mistakenly put in 5w-30 and not the 5w-20? i noticed the other day that my "extra" bottle of oil ( i almost always buy one extra when doing an oil change) was 5w-30
Old 07-12-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paramaniac
Since my work shift is 12 hours, thats plenty of time for the oil to potentially drain out of the filter due to a faulty or shitty ADBV. i put the Mobil 1 filter in on the 8th. yesterday morning and again after work... knocking. WTF? i put 89 octane gas in wednesday night from a Sunoco, i really dont think its the gas.

I had no issues with the first Royal Purple filter i used, the last one was noisy as hell but it took about 2 months and i drove 2000 miles on my vacation.

Im going to be switching to the FL400S.

one last thing... could it be because i mistakenly put in 5w-30 and not the 5w-20? i noticed the other day that my "extra" bottle of oil ( i almost always buy one extra when doing an oil change) was 5w-30
Thats why I switched from the Mobil1 filter to the Motorcraft.....no more knock.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
Thats why I switched from the Mobil1 filter to the Motorcraft.....no more knock.
thats what i am hoping for!

that sound is worse than fingernails down a chalkboard to me... all i can think of is there goes a few months off the life of my engine!

Quick Reply: Still have the start-up knock