Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stiff ride..

Old 09-16-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stiff ride..

So I am getting a very stiff ride with my current setup. Bone jarring actually. Every dip, bump and crack is passed through to the steering.

I have Edelbrock IAS shocks all around and I don't think its that cause I had Bilstein HD on before and the ride actually improved a bit.

I have a heavy shrock works front bumper and I am running Rubicon stock coils on my 2DR X with 3/4 spacer up front.

My question is if I put Old Man Emu light duty coils up front will that improve the ride?

Also would there be an issue with running those coils up front and Rubicon coils in the rear.

I don't want a lift I just want my Jeep to drive smooth like when it was all stock.

Also could the weight of steel wheels cause a rougher ride?

I am pulling my hair out on this. I got adj. lower control arms, new shocks, and adj. trackbar, a heavy duty tie rod and drag link all with hopes of improving the ride. But I still get stiff pogo stick like vibes through the steering..
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what tire pressure are you riding on?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi

Not high at all 28 cold.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Not high at all 28 cold.
What's the load rating of your tires? C, D, or E?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi

"SL" Standard load.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi

No I switched from stock wheels and tires to mopar steel wheels and Goodyear Silent Armors in the stock size which are rated as standard load.

I am running Rubicon springs with a 3/4 spacer up front and Edelbrock IAS shocks which are supposed to be a smooth shock cause they soften the ride when the road gets rough with a special inertia valve.

It seems like the shocks are absorbing just fine but I am getting a pogo stick vibe in the steering when hitting bumps instead of just the usual up and down.

Also even on roads that look smooth to the eye, feedback is transmitted to the steering.

I am wondering if the Rubi springs and spacers ain't doing their job up front with the added weight of the bumper.

That bumper must be 80 lbs.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Its either the shocks or the springs. In my experience the IAS shocks I put on my last Jeep were much stiffer than the stock shocks meanwhile the Goodyear Silent Armors soften up the bumps a LOT.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Jedi

I got rid of the X stock shocks and springs because the springs were bottoming out with the front bumper on and the stock shocks barely rebounded out when compressed when I took them off..

Now Im really confused.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My JK rode terrible when I bought it,Full Traction crappy cheap lift with Skyjacker shocks,(all dealer installed) I was excited to get a Rubicon Express lift and a new set of Fox shocks,I installed everything,went for a ride and low and behold......way worse ride than before!! I was super disappointed.This JK rode exactly like a brick.My friend suggested revalving my shocks,we did, and WOW it is awesome,the shocks were the culprit it rides better than stock (My Dad has a bone stock version of my JK)so I guess what I am getting at is spend some bucks on shocks,you can get the ride you are wanting.The springs you have should ride soft so shocks should be considered.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

If I put the OME coils on the front then I can run the OME shocks right?

I was told that with the heavy bumper the OME light duty coil will only lift me about an inch and there would be no need to to anything associated with a lift cause an inch is not enough for that?

Quick Reply: Stiff ride..