Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering wobble after leveling kit

Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wobble after leveling kit

Just installed TF Leveling kit on my 07 jku x. Put on new 275/70/18's. I had them balanced and an alignment. I have a wobble between 30 and 40 mph that is pretty noticable and it feels as if I may have a tire still out of balance. One of the tires they balanced had several weights on it. I am taking it back to be done again. I was just wondering if there is anything else it could be or if anyone has had this experience.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The most likely thing that feels like a tire that's out of round, out of balance, or not running true is: A tire that is out of round, out of balance, or not running true.

Did you add wheel spacers? If so, did you remove the little metal clips from the wheel studs first?

Adding some lift can make a driveshaft wobble, but a levelling kit shouldn't be enough to do it.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Check tire pressure too.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having the same issue with a level kit, but with stock Sahara wheel package
Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Just got back from the tire place. Turns out the wheel with all the weights has ( more than likely) a slipped belt on the tire. Also, the wheels I mounted had the correct backspacing so no need for spacers. I am shipping the tire back tomorrow and hopefully the new one will be better...
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Still an issue

Got the new tire, mounted, balanced, and an alignment. I still have a slight wobble in the steering wheel. Any ideas? I am going to check the ball joints and tie rods on Sunday, I guess that would be the next logical step? I have 50k miles on it.

Quick Reply: Steering wobble after leveling kit