Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering wheell shake-help

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheell shake-help

I'm not having death wobble...it's not that violent but here are the symptoms I am having.

-Steering wheel is shaking enough that it shakes my hands. This happens at around 80km/H it goes away if I go faster OR slower. It only seems to happens at an exact speed

Please note that this starting happening right after I got a tire rotation and I swapped my steering stabalizer (my bilstein was pulling left so I now have an OME from aev)

My set up: 3.5" aev north degree lift kit with 35" tires

Any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like more then likely a tire(s) out of balance.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Definitely gonna check my tire pressure but maybe you're sayin I gotta have me tires balanced?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepwave

Definitely gonna check my tire pressure but maybe you're sayin I gotta have me tires balanced?
This is usually the only symptom of out of balance tires. If you just rotated have em checked
Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

when was your last tire rotation and did they do a crossover or front to rear? did they also rebalance?
this is normal if you haven't balanced and rotated your tires in some time. as all others have said, have the balance checked
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
X2 on out of balance. And also, many shoos tend to overfill tires on our JK's, so check the air pressure while you are at it.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

Also check for sticking brake calipers, I pulled my caliper pins and they were shot...no more shimmy at 50mph, wheels and tires have zero balance issues.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

You guys are all awesome. Looking for my sticky balance on the rims and I didn't seem to locate one on one of the front tires. Gonna call a shop tomorrow to have them balance the tires and hopefully this will be the trick. I have a feeling that's all it is. Haven't balanced them since my last rotation.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepwave
You guys are all awesome. Looking for my sticky balance on the rims and I didn't seem to locate one on one of the front tires. Gonna call a shop tomorrow to have them balance the tires and hopefully this will be the trick. I have a feeling that's all it is. Haven't balanced them since my last rotation.
I'm almost positive it will the problem. I had almost the identical symptom a while ago right around 80 km/h and would slowly go away once I got to about 95-100. That was my issue. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Speed dependent shakes and shimmies are always related to tire and wheel issues.

Quick Reply: Steering wheell shake-help