Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering wheel too loose caught on VIDEO , please help w issue

Old 03-19-2016, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel too loose caught on VIDEO , please help w issue

Hey guys ,
So I have an 07 jku sahara w/ a 4" RC lift ,AEV lower control arm brackets, dual RC steering stabilizer and 35's w aftermarket wheels. I just recently took it to a jeep expert shop to have it aligned . its been lifted for over a year now but I feel like i always need to have my hands on the wheel,its a daily driver and never off road
as you can see in the video the steering wheel is not as tight as it should be OR maybe everyones jeep is like this and I'm going crazy . I know its not a sportscar and I've owned jk, tj and YJ but i really feel the steering should be tighter then this
Please share input or any advice on items i can purchase to make my on road driving experience a much better one , i added a youtube link

https://youtu.be/s82z5GYyFR8
Old 03-19-2016, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats about what mine is maybe a luttle tighter but not to much somthing to check would be the steering shock i replaced mine a couple weeks ago and it helped a bit. Hopefully someone with alittle more knowledge on jk steering will chime in.

~sam
Happy Jeeping
Old 03-19-2016, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

How many miles ?

Fwiw i ran thE RC dual stabs and it made the steering worse after a while. Removed and sold .. The buyer said they started to leak and threw em
In the garbage. First step .. Get rid of them. Or at least run one.

Have you read Plan man's DW/shimmy thread?
Old 03-19-2016, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im honestly thinking about replacing with a complete new lift kit let alone the stabilizer , honestly not to impressed with RC's onroad ability , pretty rough ride in my opinion but I'm checking first to see if there is anything that may be more important to replace for now because i can deal with the rough shocks
I'm at about 130000 now . No I haven't , do you have the link so i can take a peak
Old 03-19-2016, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/
Old 03-19-2016, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You have a drop pitman and trackbar bracket dropping from the frame? What are the alignment specs?

That writeup is a great resource for checking torque and finding worn components. After reading through it, you could also find a few threads on adjusting the steering box and see what you think.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Very likely a bad ends on you drag link.

Have someone sit in the Jeep with it running, (so you have power steering helping), and have them wiggle the wheel like that with it sitting on level ground. While they wiggle the wheel, crawl under the front end and find where the worn out part is. Most likely the drag link (the part connecting the pitman arm to the passenger side wheel). Mine is bad, not as bad as yours, but it is doing basically the same thing. With it being that worn, you should be able to see the looseness without having to touch it, but go ahead and grab on to it at the adjuster sleeve in the middle and see what it feels like, you will be able to feel it clunking and rattling as the steering box moves the pitman arm back and forth.

Happy Jeeping.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 03-20-2016, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

I'd start with removing the dual steering stabilizer set up . It would not hurt to run none until you narrow down what is wrong . then run one at the most , I still run none with 35-1250-17s. Then I would have someone help you do the dry steering test . Look at every connection on the front end and feel it also for any clunk and watch for TRE movement . Then jack it up a little and check the ball joints.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Very likely a bad ends on you drag link.

Have someone sit in the Jeep with it running, (so you have power steering helping), and have them wiggle the wheel like that with it sitting on level ground. While they wiggle the wheel, crawl under the front end and find where the worn out part is. Most likely the drag link (the part connecting the pitman arm to the passenger side wheel). Mine is bad, not as bad as yours, but it is doing basically the same thing. With it being that worn, you should be able to see the looseness without having to touch it, but go ahead and grab on to it at the adjuster sleeve in the middle and see what it feels like, you will be able to feel it clunking and rattling as the steering box moves the pitman arm back and forth.

Happy Jeeping.

take of video of this and post it up
Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hieneken49
take of video of this and post it up
Will see what I can do for a video, but it might take a bit. My calendar is pretty full these days.

The Jeep JK steering system is pretty straight forward though. You have the tie rod, the drag link, wheel bearings, and ball joints. There is the steering stabilizer, but it generally just masks problems rather than causes them. (There are exceptions to ever rule, so no need to flame me on that one).

If you follow the steps I described in my previous post, and apply it to every part you will find your problem. Tie rods and drag links both have "tie-rod ends." When these ware out they become loose, if they are loose enough for you to feel it in your steering, you will be able to see it and feet it in the part itself. When following the practice from my previous post, anything that you find loose in the steering components is worn out and should be replaced, no exceptions. There should be no play in any of you steering components on a Jeep JK. Yes they will turn a bit (clock wise/counter-clock wise, as they are all basically ball and socket joints) but there should be no lateral play.

For the wheel bearings and ball joints, jack up one front tire at a time (with the jack under either axle side lower control arm mount to lift one wheel at a time). With the jeep turned off and the wheels pointed strait, grab the front and back of the tire, and try to move it, pushing and pulling at each end of the tire back and forth to see what it does. Keep an eye on the steering components (i.e. Tie rod). If the wheel will move independently of the steering components then you have a bad wheel bearing. Next, place a pry bar between the lifted tire and the ground surface, and have a friend attempt to pry the tire up repetitively, in quick jerking motions. While they do this look at the ball joints, if there is any up and down movement (I.e. Compression of the ball joints when prying up on the wheel), then the ball joints are bad, and need to be replaced.

Again, from the original video posted my money is on the drag link being bad. If the drag link is tight, and the rest of the steering components are as well, then it has to be in the steering gear box, or the linkage from the steering wheel to the box. Both are far less likely.

Hope this helps.

Happy Jeeping.

Last edited by tjkamp; 03-20-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel too loose caught on VIDEO , please help w issue