Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering wheel shake multiple choice test

Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thoughts exactly and thx for the heads up. When I finally figure it out I'll let you know. So tired of this.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of curiosity, what tires are you running?

I've been dealing with the same BS for quite some time now. New tie rod, draglink, synergy ball joints, steering box, hydro assist... Steering has almost no play.

I've had the tires balanced 6 times, but I can't get these MTR's to balance out. I'm very close to buying new tires at this point. I don't know what else it could be at this point.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D_engel
Out of curiosity, what tires are you running? I've been dealing with the same BS for quite some time now. New tie rod, draglink, synergy ball joints, steering box, hydro assist... Steering has almost no play. I've had the tires balanced 6 times, but I can't get these MTR's to balance out. I'm very close to buying new tires at this point. I don't know what else it could be at this point.
That's my next step. I'm on my way to pickup a new set of rims and tires now. I'm hoping that fixes mins.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

I've had the EXACT same problem. AEV 3.5" lift on 35" MT Baja MTZs. At about 83-87 kph (Canada), I get a shake in the wheel. Not enough to to be shocking, but enough to feel "flighty". And it wasn't like that before. Got the alignment and balance checked and both are fine. I have a sneaking suspicion that airing down the running PSI of the tires after over 1 year at a higher PSI is the culprit, though. I've noticed that the tread on the front tires is not as uniformly worn as on the rear. I'll repost if rotating the tires (or new ones altogether) fixes the issue...
Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen to me as well...4 inch lift on 35's on the highway it would wobble slightly...it wasn't that noticeable but I could feel it in my hand through the steering wheel, I did an alignment, made sure that the tires were at all the same in pressure but it would do it again...then I rotated the tires to which it helped a little but still the feeling was there so I pulled the trigger on one of these babies...and the wobble was gone, there is 24 clicks of adjustment I set it at 20 problem solved!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1080773769.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	645095  
Old 04-26-2016, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So as far as people with ideas and no solutions, they are giving solutions. It just might not be the right solution to fix your issue but it was for them. There are so many factors when talking steering so it makes a lot of possible solutions.

As asked what tires are you running? The MTRs are notorious for having balancing problems. I considered them until I start reading about them and decided not for me.

Have you check all of your torque settings, especially the trackbar?

When you have your tires looked at have them check for uneven wear, warping, etc. check out planmans thread and videos on diagnosing shimmies shakes and death wobble if you haven't already.

I had a shimmy issue like this and it was tires. Tires looked perfectly fine to me but the second I changed them out it was like a brand new vehicle. Then later on happened again and this time was trackbar bushing and torque setting.

Also depending on what trackbar you have, make sure the jam nuts are nice and extremely tight.

Inspect the torque settings on control arms and the bushings themselves.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sinz
I had the exact same thing happen to me as well...4 inch lift on 35's on the highway it would wobble slightly...it wasn't that noticeable but I could feel it in my hand through the steering wheel, I did an alignment, made sure that the tires were at all the same in pressure but it would do it again...then I rotated the tires to which it helped a little but still the feeling was there so I pulled the trigger on one of these babies...and the wobble was gone, there is 24 clicks of adjustment I set it at 20 problem solved!
Problem hidden actually. If all alignment and everything else is good and set the way it should be then you don't even need a steering stabilizer. It's good to have though and I have heard the fox ATS ones are nice.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check your front driveline and/or have it balanced. I bent a driveline on the trail once and it cause a front end vibration around 45-50 mph. Because a front axle is offset it translates into steering wheel movement.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shake multiple choice test