Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering wheel shake multiple choice test

Old 01-29-2016, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel shake multiple choice test

I already scoured the earth and jeep forums across the net for any or all education I could find about this problem or maybe "not such a problem" but it's bugging me so here goes....

08 JKU 48,000 miles with newly installed HD ball joints, steering stabilizer, and HD front adjustable track bar. The general sway and bump steer is totally gone after installing these parts and went in for the alignment four weeks ago. She drives perfect or I guess as perfect as a jeep can drive on 33x12.50's or anything bigger.

Between about 47-56 mph the steering wheel STILL has some shake. It's certainly not violent or DW shaking but it's enough to drive me to drinking or hanging it up cause I'm so frustrated. (Now I'm not gonna lie here, balancing these tires or keeping them balanced has absolutely been a chore for the working man I'll say that. Every time I've took her in for an oil change or an even up grease job I've had them rotate and balance the tires and EVERY TIME they've been out or had some hop in at least one of them.) Does fine past 56 or 60, does fine prior to 47 mph. Shakes like a salt shaker between 47-56. I love this jeep. It's my project. I don't do any huge rock crawling but trail riding and fishing/camping are my favorites just a weekend guy with my girl. I'm seriously beginning to think I'm crazy and this is normal but it simply can't be because it wasn't doing it until around November of 2015.

Is this
A: a tire balance issue
B: steering box ready to crap out
C: tie rod about to crap out
D: I'm crazy, this is a jeep, start drinking again

Any help with this beating of the dead horse I'd appreciate and I'll put you on the Christmas list. At this point I can buy you something worth about $10 bucks.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try balancing the tires again and see what happens. Make sure you don't have any bent rims.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by richlortz
Try balancing the tires again and see what happens. Make sure you don't have any bent rims.
That was my next option was to balance AGAIN and have the shop check for a bent rim. I can't imagine one being bent but I'm gonna run it anyway. I'm tired of screwing with this issue its messin up my mojo but I'm afraid if I don't address it I'll be sorry in the end. Even more sorry than right now
Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't have worded this better. I've been debating starting a thread but didn't want to deal with the redundant answers. I've seen probably every thread on this issue. I have the absolute same issue as you. I've replaced tie rod, drag link, ball joints, both wheel bearings. I've just ordered all new control arms so I hope that helps out. I did realize my front track bar was a bit off and my axle was about an inch to the driver side. Helped the general road manners but not the shimmy too much. Hope you find the wobble monster brother, good luck.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

My guess is A with the possible addition of B,C and D. Good thinking on checking for a bent wheel too. Some tires just suck to balance.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I couldn't have worded this better. I've been debating starting a thread but didn't want to deal with the redundant answers. I've seen probably every thread on this issue. I have the absolute same issue as you. I've replaced tie rod, drag link, ball joints, both wheel bearings. I've just ordered all new control arms so I hope that helps out. I did realize my front track bar was a bit off and my axle was about an inch to the driver side. Helped the general road manners but not the shimmy too much. Hope you find the wobble monster brother, good luck.
Exactly Chuck I mean really I've sunk over a thousand dollars into this front end just like you the only thing I haven't purchased is the HD tie rod or HD drag link but judging from your reply to me I can see that's gonna go off the table for now cause I'm just gonna have to deal with it I guess. I'm mad as hell I can't figure this out and it kinda makes me wonder when I see a jeep pass me what kind of problems they're having with theirs! FYI the adjustable front track bar was a big help getting a true alignment if suggest you do that as well if you haven't. It's gonna be the only thing we've not done with the exception of replacing the steering box and have you seen the prices for those sheesh they're expensive....shimmy highway here I come. At least it doesn't shimmy on the trail I guess. What control arms did you go with? I've been debating on grabbing the teraflex sport flexarm kit I don't know if I really actually need the adjustable ones.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
My guess is A with the possible addition of B,C and D. Good thinking on checking for a bent wheel too. Some tires just suck to balance.
Thx Rob I'm gonna go back to the drawing board I guess next weekend.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKUHELO1
Exactly Chuck I mean really I've sunk over a thousand dollars into this front end just like you the only thing I haven't purchased is the HD tie rod or HD drag link but judging from your reply to me I can see that's gonna go off the table for now cause I'm just gonna have to deal with it I guess. I'm mad as hell I can't figure this out and it kinda makes me wonder when I see a jeep pass me what kind of problems they're having with theirs! FYI the adjustable front track bar was a big help getting a true alignment if suggest you do that as well if you haven't. It's gonna be the only thing we've not done with the exception of replacing the steering box and have you seen the prices for those sheesh they're expensive....shimmy highway here I come. At least it doesn't shimmy on the trail I guess. What control arms did you go with? I've been debating on grabbing the teraflex sport flexarm kit I don't know if I really actually need the adjustable ones.
Ive had an adjustable RK for awhile. I have a 2 door and they used to list the coils as 2.5" for both unlimited and 2 door and they changed more recently, so it's now a "3.5" lift. I had the length of the track bar set at their recommended length for a 2.5". I never had any problems until I finally put the rear track bar bracket on and I believe it changed it to where I was dog tracking.
I went with the Rock krawler arms and their rear track bar. I went with the same as the X factor kit. I didn't get the front upper though. I got a GREAT price through Marcus at River City Offroad. I mean, it was cheaper than on Black Friday from most places lol.
I wouldn't doubt if my steering box is worn out, but I hope it isn't. I've been trying to find a thread with more information on the rebuild of it. I'm not worried about the difficulty of it but I can't seem to find what exact parts id need or where to get them. Everyone talks about seals and such, but I don't need seals, I need whatever the hell gets worn out inside the steering box haha.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Ive had an adjustable RK for awhile. I have a 2 door and they used to list the coils as 2.5" for both unlimited and 2 door and they changed more recently, so it's now a "3.5" lift. I had the length of the track bar set at their recommended length for a 2.5". I never had any problems until I finally put the rear track bar bracket on and I believe it changed it to where I was dog tracking. I went with the Rock krawler arms and their rear track bar. I went with the same as the X factor kit. I didn't get the front upper though. I got a GREAT price through Marcus at River City Offroad. I mean, it was cheaper than on Black Friday from most places lol. I wouldn't doubt if my steering box is worn out, but I hope it isn't. I've been trying to find a thread with more information on the rebuild of it. I'm not worried about the difficulty of it but I can't seem to find what exact parts id need or where to get them. Everyone talks about seals and such, but I don't need seals, I need whatever the hell gets worn out inside the steering box haha.
Yea exactly and 4WD.com has some parts but not everything you'd need for a rebuild. Neither does Quadratec they sell oem replacement parts which is fine but I'm planning on keeping my jeep forever and dropping a new engine in when it's time. I don't want to swap out the steering box every four or five years I'm gonna put in one it's gonna be HD and aftermarket. I'm not giving up on this I'll either go broke or turn into an alcoholic on the weekends but come hell or high water I'm gonna figure this out then I'll let you know directly as well as post it on every forum in the good ole USA cause every one I've ever seen has the same ideas and no solutions. I do think it's funny how the steering stabilizer guys chime in with that being the fix all for everything steering component related. I'd like to punch them in the face. Give me a break
Old 01-29-2016, 10:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKUHELO1
Yea exactly and 4WD.com has some parts but not everything you'd need for a rebuild. Neither does Quadratec they sell oem replacement parts which is fine but I'm planning on keeping my jeep forever and dropping a new engine in when it's time. I don't want to swap out the steering box every four or five years I'm gonna put in one it's gonna be HD and aftermarket. I'm not giving up on this I'll either go broke or turn into an alcoholic on the weekends but come hell or high water I'm gonna figure this out then I'll let you know directly as well as post it on every forum in the good ole USA cause every one I've ever seen has the same ideas and no solutions. I do think it's funny how the steering stabilizer guys chime in with that being the fix all for everything steering component related. I'd like to punch them in the face. Give me a break
There's quite a few people I would love to do that to. I have the exact feelings towards overcoming my shitty handling as you do. My wife tells me about once a day to just get rid of it. Many times I am on the verge. Most of my upgrades were done from what I call "anger orders". I get so pissed off of something I just start ordering stuff until it solves the problem. Lol. Whenever I do rebuild the steering box I'm adding hydro assist at the same time to hopefully keep that one from wearing out. Just a recommendation if you don't already know, 99% of my more expensive orders I always email or call a few places like river city offroad, krawl-offroad, offroad evolutions, or Northridge, they usually give much better pricing than when just ordering off their website.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shake multiple choice test