Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Wheel Re-Centering....

Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Re-Centering....

I've been holding off on this for a little bit, since I get nervous tinkering with some parts of the jeep...

But it's a nice day, and I'm done with school for a few weeks... So While I'm out there re-tourqing everything before my snowboarding trip this weekend, i figured I'd recenter the wheel...

So, under neath the jeep, I just loosen the two bolts and rotate that metal piece the bolts were securing??? Does the jeep need to be on the ground, or lifted up?

Do i need to center the wheels first, then just turn the buckle until the wheel is center too??

How tightly do the bolts get re-tourqed???
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the thread WOl offers for FAQ. Scroll down to troubleshooting. It explains how to do it, and has a pic for you to view. Very simple, can be done in a few minutes

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/
Old 12-15-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

you've got it. loosen the two bolts. Rotate the top forward to turn the steering wheel right, or backwards to turn the steering wheel left. tighten and take for a test drive. sometimes it takes a few tries.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Got it. Any idea how tight those bolts should be??? I don't want to loose steering on the highway

Also, when I moved mine, I found there to be less play in the bar (one end moved). Should there be any play in it, or does it not matter?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RuBob
Do you mean slight rotation movement at the tie rod ends? If so, make sure the tie rod end at the pitman arm and the tie rod end at the knuckle are at the same position when tightening.
Yep... that's what I mean... I'll have to recheck it tomorrow.... Feels fine right now, but of course, i don't want to do any damage..
Old 12-16-2008, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

after i did my lift and adjustable track bar i took it to a shop for an alllignment. after i installed the adjustable track bar, it threw the steering wheel way off. when they did the allignment, they did straighten the steering wheel, but its not exactly perfect. if i try to adjust the steering wheel using the method discussed above, would it do anything to mess with the other aspects of the allignment?

thanks

corey d
Old 12-16-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

im going get the wrenches.....

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Re-Centering....