Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering wheel loose after a lift

Old 05-19-2021, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel loose after a lift

Hey guys i hope everyone is doing great! So i just got a 2.5 inch RC spacer lift with shock and added an adjustable trackbar also geometry brackets/drop brackets. The kit came with rear trackbar relocation bracket too. I also installed 20x10 wheels on 35s. So right after the installation and an alignment the jeep seems to have a loose steering feel. I took it down back to the shop and after 4 times of adjustments its still floaty. They suggest the steering box is bad. I had 305/55/20 before the 35s and the jeep rode perfect. Also the toe they said is perfect i even added brackets for the castor correction. But they cant figure it out. Any help what might cause the issue. Or solutions. I dont have the money for a new steering box or smth. And i barely drive this what might have gone wrong or wasnt done right after the lift. I also re did the front suspension with new teraflex ball joints, new tied rods all around. Please help thanks!’
2007 jeep jk unlimited
130k miles
Old 05-19-2021, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Did you just do the BJs at the same time? If so they often take 500 miles to break in. Typically people will describe it as "loose" steering, but actually it's "tight" steering. Does it feel like you're having to constantly correct, especially at lower speeds? That would be common with new BJs.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

No i did the bjs long time ago. When i was intalling the 33s. Everything was fine until today when i installed the lift and the big wheels i am having the flighty steering. The shop is suggesting new steering box i mean could it go had literally that fast?
Old 05-19-2021, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If it was driving fine before, nothing you did should have impacted the box. Little perplexing since it sounds like you've corrected caster with the brackets. Do you know what the current caster is from the recent alignment? I wouldn't rush to replace the box just yet cuz the shop is throwing parts at it. It seems the people that have had bad boxes report prevalent dead spots in the steering. Do you notice anything like that in a certain range of steering by chance?
Old 05-19-2021, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Well i have pretty much a little play and dead zone in the middle area and i keep correcting it. I dont know my castor the shop said the toe is fine but didnt mention anything about the castor or any or sorta things like that. I researched all of this and ended up getting the brackets but i still ended up getting this shitty floaty steering. Idk what to do now. The shop just keeps on suggesting new box like bro it was perfect 10 minutes ago i dont even off-road or anything.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You installed the lift yourself, or a shop did the work? Wondering if binding control arm bushings could be contributing?

Even if brackets are installed, it would be good to know what the actual alignment specs are. Was it performed at a real shop on a rack, or did the lift installer just straighten the steering wheel and charge for a full alignment?
Old 05-19-2021, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

No the shops a professional place ive been going to them for a while and until today everything was fine. Even the lift wheels everything else is fine. They put it up the alignment rack everything done as its suppose to be. They even tried to figure out the floaty issue and later concluded to the steering box issue. I cant justify myself that that could be the issue everyone makes mistakes ik maybe they did too or else i nice riding jeep just turn to smth else.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Would lift the Jeep a bit, then take a bar up under the tire and see if you can get any play with it. Is the tire moving in ways it's not supposed to? If yes, I would look at hubs and bearings. They do wear out over time and the extra lift may be exaggerating the play. I would also check all the bolts for correct torque. Did the installer need to remove anything that was in the way during the lift and when putting it back, may not have tightened it enough. Or could the very act of working up under the Jeep forced something loose, even a tiny bit. Just a few thoughts. My Jeep had that bobble-head feeling and it turned out to be the hubs.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Everything is tight and good even the castor is perfect but no help i guess it has to be the steering box! Will see how it goes
Old 05-20-2021, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

It would sure seem like a major coincidence as far as timing, but it really sounds like everything else has been addressed.
The following users liked this post:
Jk2k07 (05-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Steering wheel loose after a lift