Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering wheel feels loose/wondering

Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving it I guess it isn't really a vibration more I feel the road a lot! Like I feel all the bumps in it. I am gonna check the pitman arm tonight. But my tires were just balanced and rotated. I think it's most likely gonna be the shaft.

All my tie rod ends are tight and new. All torked to 55 foot pounds.

It just feels like my steering wheel won't control my tires well like I am always having to correct then correct the correct.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Then also if I do a brace will this fix my problem or is it to late for that? If my bearing is bad, is there any fixing it?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zero_traction69
Then also if I do a brace will this fix my problem or is it to late for that? If my bearing is bad, is there any fixing it?
A brace I believe will fix it (i say believe because I haven't done it myself) but yeah, a brace would be a good bet if it does end up being your sector shaft.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

I'm having the same exact problem as you. 4.5" lift 35's, synergy ball joints, new tie rod/ draglink ends, JKS tracbars, artec HD tracbars bracket. So I have pretty much decided it has something to do with the steering box or shaft. I'm looking for some fixes as well. Maybe a new shaft?? Not sure but I'm determined to figure this one out
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

I am pretty sure I just fixed the problem woot woot! I was poking around a few old treads and talked to a few mechanics in my shop. They said u could adjust the steering gear box on top. Takes about two seconds worth of work! Steering feels a lot tighter no wandering. I only drove it a few the real test will be on the way home from work but feels miles better just on my quick drive.

I check my selector shaft there is no play in that. My play was coming from the gear box it's self.

Going to take a few pics and post a video! Just if u do this the trick is to not go
To far. I did 1/4 turn and it was a big difference!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am pretty sure I just fixed the problem woot woot! I was poking around a few old treads and talked to a few mechanics in my shop. They said u could adjust the steering gear box on top. Takes about two seconds worth of work! Steering feels a lot tighter no wandering. I only drove it a few the real test will be on the way home from work but feels miles better just on my quick drive. I check my selector shaft there is no play in that. My play was coming from the gear box it's self. Going to take a few pics and post a video! Just if u do this the trick is to not go To far. I did 1/4 turn and it was a big difference!
Used this trick on my old tj, it really does work but.... it's a temporary fix. If it's worn enough you had to adjust it I would look into a new gearbox soon.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

I am pretty sure I just fixed the problem woot woot! I was poking around a few old treads and talked to a few mechanics in my shop. They said u could adjust the steering gear box on top. Takes about two seconds worth of work! Steering feels a lot tighter no wandering. I only drove it a few the real test will be on the way home from work but feels miles better just on my quick drive. I check my selector shaft there is no play in that. My play was coming from the gear box it's self. Going to take a few pics and post a video! Just if u do this the trick is to not go To far. I did 1/4 turn and it was a big difference!
Looking forward to the video because I am having the same problems.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just go under there and put a wrench on it

Sent from my Obama phone using JK-Forum
Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

I hear it's not safe to do this ? On a Tj yes but a JK ?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 PM
JK Junkie

.25 is too much toe in. You might want to look into that.

Clicking sounds like a axle u-joint.

I'm hoping tightening the box was not a mask.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel feels loose/wondering