Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering wheel feels loose/wondering

Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel feels loose/wondering

I am at a lose! My steering wheel feels loose and my jeep is wondering over the road.

I have replaced my ball joints, wheel bearings, u joints, running rock Krawler tire rod and drag link and ride racing knuckles. Have a fox steering stabilizer. Have logo tire rod ends, I have a rock Krawler 3.5 max travel and running 37s. My caster angle is 5.2, just had an alignment and my wheels balanced. I also replaced my track bar bolts with 9/16th and torked to 150 foot pounds check everything I just don't know what els to do.

Is there anything els I can do to tighten up my steering???? Help please
Old 10-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the toe set at? Were the control arm bolts torqued with the Jeep on the ground?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zero_traction69
I am at a lose! My steering wheel feels loose and my jeep is wondering over the road.

I have replaced my ball joints, wheel bearings, u joints, running rock Krawler tire rod and drag link and ride racing knuckles. Have a fox steering stabilizer. Have logo tire rod ends, I have a rock Krawler 3.5 max travel and running 37s. My caster angle is 5.2, just had an alignment and my wheels balanced. I also replaced my track bar bolts with 9/16th and torked to 150 foot pounds check everything I just don't know what els to do.

Is there anything els I can do to tighten up my steering???? Help please
Adjust your front lowers a little more so your caster is 4.5, made a huge difference on my '12 2DR Rubi with 3.5 lift.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

The tork of the control arms is 185 foot pounds, also have grade 8 bolts in there, and my toe is set to .12 driver side and .13 passenger side and total toe is .25

My case is 5.2 which should make my steering tighter. The less caster the looser and more flightinf ur steering gets or so I though? am I wrong?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Going through the same thing right now. 4.75" lift, 37s. Could it possibly be your sector shaft? The bearings wear and allow play at the shaft itself.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Check your pitman arm nut,sector play
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

How do I know if my selector shaft is bad? What will it cause?

Cu right now my steering feels loose and I have a slight vibration and wondering feeling at slow speeds and also a clicking sound when I turn the wheel but that has always been there.

Then at high speed the steering feels a little tighter and doesn't wander as much. But the steering wheel still has a vibration.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can check the sector shaft by having someone rotate the wheel back and forth while you look at where the pitman arm is attached. If there is any movement that happens at the pitman arm before the transfer to the draglink then you most likely have a shot bearing inside the steering box.

You'll see the shaft that conect to the pitman arm move the opposite way that the arm is applying force. (it's hard to miss, you'll know it when you see it) this also could explain the ticking noise you talked about.

Only thing that makes me think other wise is the vibration you said your experiencing. Has to be a loose TRE somewhere or the tires are cause causing the vibration.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try simply swapping your front tires to the rear, could be as simple as a tire that wore differently.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the tires. Do you have a drag link flip kit?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel feels loose/wondering