Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Wandering after DW fix

Old 07-30-2019, 01:03 PM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the story on the tires? Checked the other thread and didn't see anything. Also, wheel spacers? Have you checked the slip/joints in the steering shaft?

And there is no real way that a track bar can cause ball joints to break...
Old 07-30-2019, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bkg
What's the story on the tires? Checked the other thread and didn't see anything. Also, wheel spacers? Have you checked the slip/joints in the steering shaft?

And there is no real way that a track bar can cause ball joints to break...
Tires are Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, good condition. No wheel spacers, and yeah you would think a track bar installation couldnt bring this level of problems but it has. Only thing I installed that day 3 months ago when this journey began.

Last edited by schmity; 07-30-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by schmity
Tires are Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, good condition.
As one other possible factor, what psi are you running?

Discount Tire likes to seriously over-inflate mine if I forget to tell them to leave the pressure alone. For me, 45+ psi makes it more flighty than the 28-30ish I prefer, (and of course a much firmer ride.)
Old 07-30-2019, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Default I also need a priest

Drive back home and the car is still coming at me with the issues. Its really demoralizing but, any ideas? dies at low speeds. Car wont start unless I touch the cable connecting to neg terminal. Theres a bit of wiggle but the clamp is tight at the same time, bad connection maybe?

Last edited by schmity; 07-30-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
As one other possible factor, what psi are you running?

Discount Tire likes to seriously over-inflate mine if I forget to tell them to leave the pressure alone. For me, 45+ psi makes it more flighty than the 28-30ish I prefer, (and of course a much firmer ride.)
Im running them at around 32-33 atm.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:53 AM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schmity
Tires are Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, good condition. No wheel spacers, and yeah you would think a track bar installation couldnt bring this level of problems but it has. Only thing I installed that day 3 months ago when this journey began.
have you rotated the tires? rebalanced them? had them checked for slipped belt?
Old 07-31-2019, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Balanced and Rotated yes, even aligned. Not sure what you mean by slip belt? Although it doesnt feel like the tires are at fault here because the issue only came after the TB. Im thinking of pulling apart parts and reinstalling the unflipped DL like resharp said to see if that works. I think it might just be a bad fitment on the car tbh. Part arrives tomorrow if im not mistaken (will install on friday so fingers crossed). also got that electrical nightmare fixed, it was a loose neg end connection.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:56 AM
JK Newbie

So ive done some looking around im gonna set my tires over to around 28psi and see if anything positive happens there, I dont notice any uneven tire wear after the road trip so im sure my alignment is fine at least. I also havent considered that the rear suspension is stock minus the 2.5" lift (wouldnt this mean that the rear axle is off center while the front axle is centered?) Im going to measure this as well today when doing the install for the DL since I feel like that alone can provoke steering issues. Have to check wheel bearings too... will give an update later today if I get install done.

Last edited by schmity; 08-03-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

The rear axle being off center really shouldn't have any effect at all; however, you should at least have a raised rear TB bracket on the axle. The bracket helps a bit with getting closer to recentered again, but more importantly raises the roll center in the rear (the flatter the rear TB angle, the better your roll center.)

Curious to see the results after DL is back to factory location.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Believe me im just as curious as to if this will be the fix, unfortunately its been raining all day today so I cant sit out and do the install. 28psi didnt change much as expected. But one thing ive noticed is that the jeep definitely has a tendency to pull me more to the right than to the left, if anything the pulling to the left happens mostly after I correct jeep from pulling to the right. Im not sure if that helps narrow any culprits down, will update, but for now when the roads dry up a bit if it doesnt rain I think im gonna tape my phone to the bumper and see if I can get any good video of my suspension while driving

Quick Reply: Steering Wandering after DW fix