Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering upgrade suggestions...gnarly death wobble

Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering upgrade suggestions...gnarly death wobble

So my steering is shot, I need new tie rod ends and drag link ends and my track bar has been tweaked and has also ovaled out where it connects to the axle... and my steering has about 5 inches of play in the steering wheel. I researched replacing with OEM and it sounds like the OEM is crap and I have been warned against it?

I have a 4.5" super flex Rubicon Express lift, but within the next year I would like to replace with another brand maybe 6+ inches. What is the best steering I can buy for the best price that will also be acceptable for a bigger long arm lift? I'm getting married soon, so if I spend too much my fiance will kill me. A friend suggested Currie or Omix Ada, but hes a tj and yj guy and doesn't know a ton about JK's. Also if I explained something wrong let me know. I'm just learning about steering since last night.

Thanks all,
Ryan
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synergy flipped drag link kit will handle your tracbar and draglink issue. Synergy tie rod will handle the tierod. Better strength and ends are a ton better than stock. Also since your so high it might fix any bumpsteer issues you might have had or might have.

Synergy drag link flip kit is $325. The tie rod is the same. Can use either a synergy tracbar or RK tracbar with it also. I'm sure others will work to. I would also suggest a grade 8 hardware kit from northridge. They fit the holes better and for other reasons also. You should be set after all that

Last edited by DunnyBunny; 06-20-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

My local off-road shop looked into it this am and is suggesting I buy a weld nut/washer for the ovaling, a new hi steer, and beefed up tie rod and draglink for like $850? Like I said I am clueless on steering as I have not had anytime to research it. My Jeep is my daily driver so I need to try to buy the parts and fix it either this weekend or next week...
Old 06-20-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Synergy flipped drag link kit will handle your tracbar and draglink issue. Synergy tie rod will handle the tierod. Better strength and ends are a ton better than stock. Also since your so high it might fix any bumpsteer issues you might have had or might have.

Synergy drag link flip kit is $325. The tie rod is the same. Can use either a synergy tracbar or RK tracbar with it also. I'm sure others will work to. I would also suggest a grade 8 hardware kit from northridge. They fit the holes better and for other reasons also. You should be set after all that
Thanks for the feed back I will look into what you said
Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your shop quoted you $850 for weld washers, tie rod and full flip with labor, I say go for it. As long as they aren't the stock components
Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D_engel
If your shop quoted you $850 for weld washers, tie rod and full flip with labor, I say go for it. As long as they aren't the stock components
Agreed. The components I listed is about $700 alone without the aftermarket tracbar. So for about $150 in labor and not having to install yourself (if that's what you want) then that's pretty good. I myself enjoy installing my own components. Just verify what components he is using. Check out actual price of them and what they are made of. I like synergy because they are stronger than stock and use 1 ton rod ends that are greasable. Other companies like EVO charge the same amount nearly for their flip kit but use a stock draglink from a RHD JK. So it's exact same as your stick draglink with a different bend.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by D_engel
No unfortunately that was just for parts. I'll do it all my self, that way I can learn. I called Northridge as well, they agreed with everyone. So I am buying a flipped draglink and tie rod for $525.00 (which also sounds like it will help with my articulation), bolt on track bar mt for $150.00, and a grade 8 bolt kit for $40.00. Sounds like it would be $400 for install at my local shop or Northridge for 4 hours of labor.

Last edited by Crampt0n; 06-20-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Crampt0n
No unfortunately that was just for parts. I'll do it all my self, that way I can learn. I called Northridge as well, they agreed with everyone. So I am buying a flipped draglink and tie rod for $525.00 (which also sounds like it will help with my articulation), bolt on track bar mt for $150.00, and a grade 8 bolt kit for $40.00.
it will not help articulation and depending on how much bumpstop you were running it may hurt your articulation.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Maertz
it will not help articulation and depending on how much bumpstop you were running it may hurt your articulation.
Huh, really? I was hearing that because of the flip, it would line everything up properly, causing less stress on the suspension components. Can you explain a little more? And I don't believe I ever did anything to the bump stops. Think they are still stock unless they came with the RE kit but pretty sure they didn't...
Old 06-20-2014, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Crampt0n

Huh, really? I was hearing that because of the flip, it would line everything up properly, causing less stress on the suspension components. Can you explain a little more? And I don't believe I ever did anything to the bump stops. Think they are still stock unless they came with the RE kit but pretty sure they didn't...
You move the drag link higher up and closer to the frame. You have to make sure on uptravel it now dont hit the frame. Yes you steering geometry will be better at that lift height but if your steering is limiting travel you have some crazy travel or a crazy ass set up that makes no sense.

Quick Reply: Steering upgrade suggestions...gnarly death wobble