Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering + Tie Rod Issues (possibly more?)

Old 07-22-2020, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering + Tie Rod Issues (possibly more?)

As I'm sure you all can see in the pictures attached I'm having some issues with slight play in the steering. Steering wheel is starting to shake on hard bumps,other than that jeep still handles fairly smooth. I've not had the Jeep long, and already purchased it modified. I've looked and looked online for replacement parts for my current steering setup and am not sure the brand of my tie rod and drag link. It looks to be really heavy duty to me. (This is the first JK I've owned but am somewhat familiar with Jeeps, have had 4 XJs, 3 of them modified). I'm starting to think I'm better off just replacing the whole set up with Teraflex's steering system. Honestly not sure what to do, any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-22-2020, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I commented on your other post, but I would pass on Teraflex. They're good, but they come with a premium. I'd look at aluminum or look at the Fusion 4x4, it should be plenty beefy enough for you.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I wouldn't go pulling things off just yet. So, it looks like you have some Rancho knuckles (I think they look red and look like Ranchos) which is a nice little bonus. You have a high steer with the DL flipped and the TB mount raised on the axle. Don't have a good picture of top of the upper ball joints. Is there a zerk in the top of those? If not, they are factory, and you should do the ole shovel under the tire test to see if there's any slop in em (jack up a couple inches, support the axle, put shovel under the tire and step on handle....look for any movement between the C and the knuckle in the gap by the upper BJ). It is also very helpful to have someone in the jeep while you sit in front of it. Have them turn the wheel back and forth without the jeep on and look for movement in the frame side TB joint. I can't tell what brand that DL and TR are, but they are def beefier than stock. Considering that someone cared enough to put nice knuckles on that.....I'm guessing it's not low end stuff.

Last edited by resharp001; 07-22-2020 at 06:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2mnycars (07-26-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Looking back at the pictures, the track bar looks a little off too, you'll need to lengthen it a pinch.
The following users liked this post:
2mnycars (07-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Steering + Tie Rod Issues (possibly more?)