Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Stop Adjustment

Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stop Adjustment

I recently installed 285/70R17 BFG tires and have some rubbing, as expected (no lift). I have read about installing a lock washer under the steering stop studs but have not been able to find them. I took a quick look for them this morning and only saw what might have been a steering stop, which was a bolt with a lock nut.

I am going to look again in the morning when I have a bit more time but any help on where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:36 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a shot of what the steer stop looks like on a TJ which is located in front of the front axle:

The JK looks the same but is located behind the front axle. Just add a washer or two here and you're good to go
Old 03-15-2007, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, that was big help. I saw the bolt and nut and it looked like it acted as a steering stop but I was expecting to find a stud some place.

I added a couple of washers and it is not rubbing any more.

Devin
Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HOLY MOLY! driley started a jk question thread!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
This is a shot of what the steer stop looks like on a TJ which is located in front of the front axle:

The JK looks the same but is located behind the front axle. Just add a washer or two here and you're good to go
This forum is amazing and I have learned alot about maintaining my jeep. Thanks to all who post and share all the valuable info on this site. I can't afford to get gouged by the dealer for easy work.

I have 265/70/17 (slightly smaller than oem 255/75/17)no lift. Just noticed today drivers side front tire rubs the hard rubber that's around the hard brake line. The round rubber cover is rubbed flat, not to the brake line but getting there. What's the best way to get that line out of the way? It's rubbing alot and I need to take care of it.
So it looks like adding a couple washers to the steering stop will fix it? I compared left and right side brake lines and brackets, they're in the same position, it doesn't look like anything moved. I just want to get the opinions on here if you think it's the way to fix it.
Much Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Just found the steering stop adjustment write up.
This forum is an amazing resource!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nice JK
Just found the steering stop adjustment write up.
This forum is an amazing resource!!!
Very true and then some, many people here have great advice and can help you much more than you would think.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Could you tack on more bead?

So from what I see in the pictures by adding the washers your pushing the stop screw out further so it hits the axle sooner. Could you also tack more bead on the actual metal piece to prevent the tire from rubbing as well? I say this because I want to put on 285/75/16's on my stock steel wheels. It would be a lot more cost effective to add 10 cents worth of bead and gain some turning radius then to buy $1200 worth of rims and $100 in TPMS sensors. My long term goal is to get a 4" lift but I'm on a budget and can only spend $1200 every 6 months on upgrades.

Quick Reply: Steering Stop Adjustment